Our Digital and Data team is currently recruiting for an experienced, dynamic Data Architect, who is adept at data modelling, data visualization and dataset preparation, to deliver and implement effective enterprise business intelligence solutions.
The role will be responsible for leading and developing the data strategy, ensuring a compliant approach which is aligned with best practice. You’ll also develop a team and engage with internal and external stakeholders to drive the Digital and Data vision.
As Architect, you will enhance the Design and Development team and its ability to deliver a complete customer focused service to the organisation for all its Business Intelligence needs, be a go-to person, provide advice and support where needed and help to deliver excellence in all areas, helping to uphold a service focused, customer centric approach. You will also manage other areas of the Data function within Digital and Data, as and when they are brought in, both temporary and permanent staff.
As an advocate for BI, will need to maintain, support, and develop the WMCA BI expertise. The role represents an exciting opportunity to work with others across the team and the wider organisation to help deliver and develop solutions that provide meaningful data for the business, helping the team deliver quality and value to its customers.
What will you be doing?
- Champion delivery of quality solutions using Business Intelligence tools
- Responsibility for data analysis, modelling, innovation and governance
- Develop Dimensional Data Models using the Kimball framework
- Preparation data via Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) and other modern tools and techniques to utilise both structured and unstructured data
- Design, develop, implement and support various reporting solutions
- Develop reports, dashboards and scorecards, data exploration, and visual analytics using existing and emerging technologies and tools.
- Manage, develop and coach other team members and the wider business in the use of BI and related technologies.
- Responsibility for the business intelligence function within Digital and Data
- Responsible for the development of BI staff within Digital and Data and across the organisation
We're looking for someone with extensive experience using the Microsoft business intelligence stack (Power BI, SQL Server, SSAS, SSRS, Data Factory, Data Lake...). Our ideal candidate will have:
- substantial experience of visual design, BI dashboards and tools
- the ability to develop an outstanding working relationship with end-users
- excellent customer service, communication and presentation skills
- strong DAX programming skills: ability to construct new data models, and create complex measures to deliver valuable insight
- an analytical mindset with strong problem-solving skills
- the capability present information in a clear and concise manner
- the ability to collate data from varying sources, complexity, formats and structures
About the team
The Digital and Data Team has recently been revamped and we are creating a high performing team that can provide excellent support to the complex multi functions of the WMCA. Our key aim is to deliver a robust, high-quality customer-focused Digital and Data function to our stakeholders. This is an exciting opportunity to join us at a time when we’re modernising our ways of working and delivering significant advancements in our digital services – and your expertise will help develop and shape our future vision and implement cutting edge technologies.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications - bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.