Assistant Planning Officer - Development Management
37.0 Hours per Week
We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Planning Officer to join our Development Management team here at Solihull Council.
We are currently negotiating the complexities of delivering a revised Local Plan and we are also working hard to do what is needed to welcome the arrival of HS2. Ensuring we are maintaining our historic and natural landscape, and delivering the design quality, community benefits and green and blue infrastructure that only the best development in the right locations can, is all part of the job.
As Assistant Planning officer, you will be supporting the Development Management team in the processing of planning applications, producing relevant documentation and providing excellent customer service to our customers, stakeholders and elected members about the status of planning applications that have been submitted to Solihull Council.
To join as a Technical Development Officer / Assistant Planning Officer, we ask that you can demonstrate you have 5 GCSEs grade A-C/4-9 (or equivalent) and experience in providing excellent customer service. You don’t necessary need to have a background working within planning, but an awareness and passion for the subject will help. For those appointed to band C, there will be the opportunity to progress to band D (subject to demonstrably meeting the required criteria).
We see our Technical Development Officers roles as the first steps into becoming a modern planner and hope to provide the appropriate training and support to shape and develop your career further.
In return we can offer:
- A friendly, supportive and inclusive working environment.
- Flexible working including home working. We are currently adopting Smarter Ways of working and this role is likely to include a combination of office based working at Solihull Council House and working from home.
- Annual leave starting at 24 days and rising to 29 days after 5 years’ service with 8 public holidays and the opportunity to purchase up to 10 additional days holiday per year.
- A generous flexitime scheme (available for most roles) with up to 24 days flexitime allowed per year.
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme.
- A wide range of learning and development opportunities.
- A range of family and carer friendly policies.
- Employee benefits including subsidised travel passes, Cycle 2 Work Scheme, confidential Employee Assistance Programme and staff discounts.
Why Solihull? There’s plenty going on to get you out and about in our beautiful borough. As well as supporting the growth aspirations at UK Central of Birmingham Airport, Jaguar Land Rover and the National Exhibition Centre, we handle the range of work you would expect an economically prosperous Metropolitan Authority to be.
To apply, please click on the link below. If you have a specific question or require further information regarding this post, please contact Jon Hallam on 0121 704 6374 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date - 19th September 2021 - we reserve the right to close this vacancy early therefore early applications are encouraged.
Interview Date: 24th September 2021
Please note we do not accept CVs.
The Fluency Duty is outlined in the Code of Practice on the English language requirements for public sector workers. The Fluency Duty for this role is Required.
This post requires the following Disclosure and Barring check: Not required.
Solihull Council is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees - a place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit.
Solihull Council has a responsibility for, and a commitment to, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk and requires all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Job Description & Person Specification