The Innovation Alliance for the West Midlands (IAWM) team sits within the West Midlands Combined Authority's Strategy & Economy directorate, and is an alliance of organisations active or interested in science and technology based innovation across the West Midlands. We engage in activities that support the delivery of innovation objectives of the 3 Local Enterprise Partnerships (GBSLEP, BCLEP, and CWLEP); the West Midlands Combined Authority’s ‘Strategic Economic Plan’, and the roll-out of the West Midlands Local Industrial Strategy by the West Midlands Innovation Board.
Everything that we do is about building and maintaining a thriving innovation ecosystem, and stimulating and catalysing a pipeline of innovation activity.
We're now looking for an equally innovative Communications Assistant to join the team on fixed term basis until September 2022.
The role will be responsible for managing and monitoring IAWM social media streams, the website and the CRM system. The role also supports arrangements for events and team meetings (including minutes) and supports the team with other administrative needs, as required, including with the conduct of surveys and drafting of reports.
What will you be doing?
- Work with colleagues to stimulate content for Twitter, LinkedIn (and other social media) posts and manage the IAWM social media accounts
- Collate data from social media analytics to contribute to reports
- Collate data from CRM system to contribute to reports
- Provide assistance on event days if required
- Support/contribute to the creation and upload of content to website including written copy and video editing
- Collate data from website analytics on site/blog engagements to contribute to reports
- Assist with/manage the creation, conduct and analysis of surveys and creation of reports
- Collate response and analytics data to contribute to reports
- Manage the CRM system
- Meeting and travel arrangements, and minute taking
Already working in a Communications capacity, our ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate their experience and capability in managing, maintaining and monitoring social media streams, websites and CRM systems. You will have:
- high levels of competence using MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook), CRM systems and virtual meeting software (Zoom/MS Teams)
- knowledge of/interest in communication methods and experience using content management systems for website editing, video editing software, graphic design tools (e.g. Canva), plus experience of Adobe Creative Cloud, desirable
- experience of using social media and relevant analytical tools across Twitter/ LinkedIn/ SurveyMonkey
- experience of diary management, organising meetings and recording minutes/actions, and report writing
- knowledge of/ interest in business growth through innovation (desirable)
- ability to communicate effectively to internal and external audiences in writing and verbally
- ability to make own decisions, use initiative and work as part of a team
About the team
The Strategy and Economy directorate brings stakeholders in the region together around shared strategic ambitions to ensure that we are always more than the sum of our parts. The Directorate develops and supports the WMCA Corporate Strategy, and develops policy and programmes focussed on economic development, devolution, culture, digital, and other areas where the WMCA has an enabling and influencing role. The Directorate engages with Government, think tanks, universities, and others to make sure our voice is heard, and supports new and emerging policy thinking. The Directorate also hosts the Office for Data Analytics and Energy Capital, a regional public-private partnership.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications - bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive a benefits package that includes 27 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Communications Assistant .pdf