Senior Delivery Manager
Birmingham City Council is transforming. As the biggest local authority in Europe, our 12,000 staff look after over 1.1m citizens and more than 40,000 businesses - striving to offer the best services we can to improve peoples' lives. We aspire to be the most rapidly improving city and to make Birmingham:
- an entrepreneurial city to learn, work and invest in
- an aspirational city to grow up in
- a fulfilling city to age well in
- a great city to live in.
The Information, Technology and Digital service will be at the heart of achieving these goals. Our service was formed in 2019 from an in-sourcing of the ICT service from the private sector - and we have high and genuine aspirations to 'lead, shape and deliver great digital solutions enabling a positive difference to peoples' lives' - so much so that we have adopted that mantra as the vision for our service. We have also developed a set of guiding principles that underpin how we work.
Top of the list is:
- Put users first
- Turn data into insight
- Operate at pace
- Iterate and experiment
Key to driving our transformation as a service is the introduction of a range of DDaT roles that signals our intent to enhance our ability to deliver user-focused services. The Senior Delivery Manager role is a unique opportunity to play a leading role in creating the team that will transform how Birmingham delivers services. You will be empowered to build the delivery team as well as influencing the recruitment of multi-disciplinary digital roles that will underpin the projects that you will design and deliver.
We are looking for bright, empathetic, and persuasive delivery managers who enjoy working in a demanding, high profile agile environment. If you care about technology and users, know how to make projects succeed and believe that how you work is as important as what you deliver then we would like to hear from you.
As a Senior Delivery Manager you will:
- Build and maintain teams, ensuring they are motivated, collaborating and working well.
- Ensure teams are equipped to deliver outcomes to users by planning and managing day-to-day work activities and identifying and overcoming obstacles and blockers.
- Focus the team on what is most important to the delivery of products and services.
- Encourage and facilitate continuous improvement of the delivery teams.
- Coach and mentor both team members and others to apply the most appropriate Agile and Lean tools and techniques.
- Participate and lead workforce management activities, including recruitment and contract management with suppliers.
- Actively participate in the agile delivery manager community –learning, sharing knowledge and bringing in good practice.
- Be part of a diverse, inclusive, supportive culture that stimulates innovation and enables high-performing teams to build and sustain quality products and delivery.
We would like to speak to those that can show experience of the below essential criteria.
- Proven experience of different Agile delivery methods and practices (e.g. Scrum, Kanban etc).
- Proven ability of optimising team delivery, actively addressing the most complicated risks, issues and dependencies.
- Identify and challenge organisational processes that are unnecessarily complicated.
- Mediate and mend relationships, engaging and managing the expectations of stakeholders at all levels.
- Take a lead in advocating for a user-centred approach to delivering products and services.
It would be advantageous if you could evidence experience of the below desirable criteria:
- Setting up agile delivery capability and being an ambassador of digital approaches within an organisation
- Manage diverse stakeholders at all levels and between organisational, technical, and political boundaries.
- Quickly get up to speed with product, policy, and political contexts, to create a positive environment for delivery.
- Demonstrate a significant track record of successfully delivering digital projects or products, leading, planning, coordinating and motivating multi -site/ multi- department teams through the full product lifecycle.
Interviews for this post will take place virtually via video conferencing. Shortlisted candidates will be provided with further information.
For informal enquires please contact James Gregory via email firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome applications from people with caring responsibilities and flexible working options will be considered.
Right to work in the UK documentation will be fully checked for all applicants. All non-UK applicants (excluding Ireland) may require a Certificate of Sponsorship from Birmingham City Council and must have an approved visa from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) before any employment offer can be confirmed. Unless they are an EEA or Swiss citizen or their family members, already living in the UK by 31 December 2020, then they will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) instead.
Job Description & Person Specification