Human Resources Business Partner
The HR Service provides support to approx. 4,300 employees located throughout Coventry which serves a diverse population of approx. 300,000.
At the centre of all we do is The People Plan, which details the contribution HR makes to the residents of Coventry, making it a great place to live and work.
As a service we offer value-add, creative relevant and timely advice and support to meet the service and people needs. Strong and positive engagement is a central element in helping to foster, productive relationships with leaders, managers, employees, TU officials, external partners and suppliers in providing an excellent and rated service.Our Values
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
What is the job role?
This is a new role in a new service, so a real opportunity for you to shape and develop a new HR service and make a real impact on the service we deliver as a council. You will need to use your business partner expertise to gain credibility from day one, solutions-focused, able to deliver at pace and confident to challenge at senior levels.
The role offers the full HRBP remit, ranging from strategic workforce planning, advising on organisational and structural change and performance and senior talent management activities, translating business needs into HR solutions. You will use business data and insight to inform the design, development and implementation of HR activities.
Highly business and service-focused, you will have a proven track record of establishing personal credibility through effective delivery. You will also be able to demonstrate excellent relationship management skills and have the ability to coach and influence at senior levels.
You’ll be excited by the range of services that we provide to the citizens of Coventry and have ideas on how we can support and improve them going forward. You’ll have a great sense of how to use HR policies and interventions to deliver the best outcomes and be able to build strong and trusted relationships with the directors who lead those areas. You will therefore be confident in championing these across the organisation, working collectively with colleagues.
You will employ strong analytical skills, undertake research and liaise with colleagues, specialists and stakeholders from across the Council and wider , to ensure the Coventry City Council is able to utilise modern HR practices and systems to increase efficiency and effectiveness. You’ll regularly present management meetings, training courses so be comfortable in speaking in front of groups of people.
It is a great opportunity to be able to successfully implement a business partnering model, develop true collaboration working across HR and really influence the culture of the organisation by progressing the employee relations agenda.
The key areas of responsibility for this role are:
- Driving the delivery of business and corporate plans for your own areas of responsibility.
- Bringing people expertise and developing solutions to help the business area to deliver its strategy
- Influencing and building relationships with people in and around the business
- Providing expert HR advice and guidance to leaders on HR matters
- Coach and build the capability of senior leaders to anticipate and pre-empt organisational issues
- Use data and analytics to measure the effectiveness of tools and policies and understand the landscape for further improvement.
- Drive consistency of approach across the Coventry City Council (CCC) in attracting, managing and developing talent to support current and future organisational needs.
- Taking a proactive approach to risk management, ensuring risks and issues are identified, addressed and reported and, where appropriate, escalated.
- Build relationships and form alliances with external counterparts, communities of practice and stakeholders to scan for innovations and opportunities to form partnerships.
- Managing individuals or teams through line management and/or matrix management arrangements as required, ensuring under performance is managed and adequate resourcing is planned to meet objectives.
Who are we looking for?
The successfully appointed colleague should be able to demonstrate:
- CIPD qualified
- Experience of working in partnership with a range of stakeholders including managers, trade unions, employees and external partners.
- Relevant HR experience (generalist or specialist) gained in large complex organisation(s) with multiple stakeholders; including employee relations experience covering complex disciplinary, grievance, organisational change, TUPE etc.
- Practical experience of a partnering and influencing senior leaders and people managers to improve performance and achieve business objectives.
- Transforms proposals/ideas into practical reality.
- Able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decisions made.
- Successful record of influencing, managing and delivering cultural and behavioural change.
We look forward to you bringing your expertise, skills and collaborative approach in supporting our culture transformation within our organisation.
If you are up for the challenge, please apply by demonstrating how you meet our key objectives and responsibilities on the personal statement of the application form.
Please note, we do not accept personal CV's.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date(s): 4th and/or 5th October 2021Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks