Lawyer (1) Contracts Commercial
Career Grade HC9/HC10 £33,782 - £42,821 (dependant on PQE and achieving core competencies)
Closing date: 09/10/2021
It is an exciting time to join Herefordshire Council’s Legal Service. We have embarked on an ambitious improvement programme with a new Chief Executive setting a new vision for the future. In the last few months a new Legal Services team structure has been agreed, which we are confident will set us on a journey to provide high quality, effective legal advice and support to the Council. We are investing in our new team, developing career opportunities for Lawyers and Legal Officers to grow and progress in their careers with us. You will be ambitious, energetic and share our vision to provide a top quality service and achieve the LExcel Accreditation.
We welcome applications from individuals nationwide, as the Council is adopting permanent arrangements to allow a flexible approach to working, as has been proven to work through the covid pandemic.
We are now recruiting to a number of new permanent posts across our Children, Adult, Education, Planning, Commercial Property, Contracts/Commercial and Litigation teams. We are seeking dynamic and passionate individuals who are motivated by working for an inclusive and diverse organisation that is determined in its ambitions for the people of Herefordshire. If you enjoy working collaboratively, are skilled in partnership working and share our energy, drive and ambition, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for a commercial lawyer to join our small and dedicated commercial team who take instructions from all the directorates of the council. You will be expected to deal with a varied case load including:
• Public procurement and the application of the Public Contracts Regulations 2015;
• Construction or commercial contracts;
• Grant Funding, Joint Venture Agreements or multi-agency agreements;
• Contracts to support delivery of capital projects; and
• General Data Protection Regulation 2016 / Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) matters.
You will be expected to
• assist and support the Senior Lawyer as required
• prepare legal advice for officer and members of the council in an appropriate format
• review and provide advice on decision reports to the Council, the Executive and other committees.
• Work closely with officers in the council’s Commercial Services team.
Experience and an enthusiasm for commercial law is essential.
You must be a qualified solicitor, practising barrister or CILEX. Previous experience of working within a local authority is desirable but not essential.
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, including:
• Flexible working including home working and the possibility of part time.
• Holidays: 25 days per year plus 2 days unpaid at Christmas (pro rata for part time)
• Pension: LGPS pension scheme
• Pick your perks – our benefits include access to a range of retail, leisure, holiday and health benefits. This includes savings, cash back and discounts. We also offer an employee assistance programme that means you will have access to confidential support and advice if you ever need it.
• Relocation payment, if you decide to relocate to Herefordshire
Please refer to the Job Description and Person Specification for more details of this role.
We welcome applicants whatever their personal characteristics or social identity.
The following candidates will be interviewed if they meet the essential criteria for the post they are applying for:
• Those who indicate that they have a disability. This is part of our commitment to the “Disability Confident” scheme;
• Those who indicate in their supporting statement that they are an Armed Forces Veteran or Reservist. This is part of our pledge to support the Armed Forces Covenant; and
• Those who indicate in their supporting statement that they are a Herefordshire care leaver. This is part of our commitment to supporting young people leaving our care.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you would like to obtain details regarding feedback on your application please contact Hoople Resourcing at: firstname.lastname@example.org