Senior Student Mentor
Post: Senior Student Mentor
Line Manager: Deputy Headteacher
To work with the Deputy Headteacher on the allocation of Pupil Premium funds to support our disadvantaged students with transport, uniform and other necessities for their education.
To manage the Student Mentor Team, who are an invaluable resource deployed to champion our disadvantaged students with academic tutoring, emotional support and encouragement for good attendance and punctuality.
To have responsibility for managing the Alder Centre and the programmes based there. The Alder Centre is located at the front of the school and is a self-contained building where students receive support and guidance in a variety of areas; positive behaviour, anti-bullying, counselling, anger management and restorative justice, to name just a few.
To manage the isolation room in the Alder Centre where students may be referred by pastoral staff for failure to comply with expectations in main school. The unit is supervised by a rota of staff, but the Senior Student Mentor will have an office base nearby to manage transitions and ensure consistent expectations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- To manage and co-ordinate the team of Student Mentors on behalf of the DHT to support the delivery of the Pupil Premium Plan by:
- Improving communication with the families of our disadvantaged students; co-ordinating information around parents’ evenings, informing of intervention plans and opportunities.
- Supporting the mentoring programme in school by communicating information amongst staff and ensuring accurate records are kept by the Student Mentors.
- Working alongside the Student Mentors to identify barriers to students’ learning and researching ideas (locally, nationally, the Education Endowment Foundation) on how to overcome these.
- Working with our disadvantaged students to find out what their needs may be; student voice led actions.
- To support DHT on reporting the impact of the Student Mentors to SLT, Governors.
- To work with the AHT Pastoral and the School Counsellor to create a programme of intervention for 2021-22 for the Alder Centre, based on the previous offer. To deliver some of the intervention programmes for our students. To support the isolation room to ensure consistent standards throughout the day. To help register the students who are sent to isolation and manage their behaviour whilst they are in attendance.
Standards and Quality Assurance
- Support the aims and ethos of the school.
- Set a good example in terms of dress, punctuality and attendance.
- Attend team and staff meetings.
- Undertake professional duties that may be reasonably assigned by the Headteacher.
- Be proactive in matters relating to health and safety.
- Be committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
The duties and responsibilities in this job description are note exhaustive. The post-holder may be required to undertake other duties from time to time within the general scope of the post. Any such duties should not substantially change the general character of the post. Duties and responsibilities outside of the general scope of this grade of post will be with the consent of the post-holder.