School Examination and Administrative Officer
Nishkam High School is a Sikh ethos, multi-faith school that nurtures pupils of all faiths and beliefs. The Nishkam ethos is to create a selfless mind-set, to go beyond ourselves to serve others, create supportive communities and to realise our true potential.
As a key member of the High School’s support team, you will be responsible for the smooth running and administration of all examinations and to liaise with teachers, students, parents and examination boards in respect of examination requirements, entries, results and communications, ensuring that the school adheres to all Awarding Bodies’ regulations. This aspect of the role reports into the Associate Principal.
As part of the school’s support team, you will also carry out administrative functions under the direction of the Office Lead. This will include some responsibility for main reception as well as other core office tasks.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Examination and Administrative Support Officer will:
- Acquire and maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the examinations system, Examination Board regulations and any changes which occur within the examinations field informing Senior Leadership Team (SLT) of any changes required to the school’s procedures.
- Plan and publicise, each year, to staff, parents and students, the examinations schedule encompassing internal and public examinations.
- Liaise with Examination Boards regarding all aspects of policy relating to examination regulations to ensure school policies meet statutory requirements, being responsible for the dissemination of all information across the school.
- Ensure that systems to be used for submission of examination entries and for the receipt, recording and issuing of results and certificates are working effectively and reviewed on a regular basis.
- Be the School’s principal link with Examination Boards, following up queries from Faculty Leaders and Subject Leaders regarding examination-related issues, disseminating to relevant staff literature regarding examinations or syllabuses sent by Examination Boards.
- Liaise with Faculty Leaders regarding all examination entries and the timetable by which entries must be made.
- Be the principal administrator in preparing and submitting all examination entries to the relevant Boards.
- Receive, check and distribute examination entry statements to students, making and submitting any amended entries to the Boards.
- Coordinate with Faculty Leaders for the dispatch of candidate’s coursework to external moderators, as directed by the awarding bodies.
- Manage the receipt of examination results on results days, including the main August examination results days, in liaison with the SLT.
- Organise the distribution of results to students and the relevant summaries and data to the Principal, Associate Principal, SLT, Faculty Leaders.
- Receive and process requests for remarks, receipt of scripts and appeals against results, liaising, as required, with relevant colleagues regarding educational aspects of such actions.
- Be responsible for the Examinations budget, liaising with the Associate Principal, and keep accurate and up-to-date records of examination entry costs and other relevant financial issues.
- Be aware of any financial or academic implications if deadlines set by Awarding Bodies are not adhered to.
- Oversee the arrangements for special arrangements for relevant students, liaising with Examination Boards and the SENCO.
- Organise the sittings for all examinations, including internal examinations, booking venues and publicising the examination schedule to staff and students.
- Ensure that all public examinations take place according to regulations published by the Examination Boards and that such regulations are publicly displayed and students duly informed.
- Make arrangements for controlled assessments as per the school policy and take responsibility for sending these to the relevant exam board moderators by the deadlines.
- Receive examination papers and other relevant materials sent by Examination Boards and keep them in a secure place in the Examinations Office; collect, log and dispatch all examination scripts, for marking.
- Maintain accurate records of all examinations, ensuring data is recorded on the MIS assessment modules.
- Receive, disseminate, collect and return requests for predicted grades and other information requested by Examination Boards.
- Make arrangements for students taking examinations, using laptops, or otherwise, sitting examinations outside of the normal venues.
- Maintain the Examinations Office in an appropriate manner, developing clear administrative systems, ensuring examination materials, including furniture, are kept securely and in a well-maintained condition.
- Liaise with relevant members of SLT regarding the organisation of examinations, student discipline during examinations and any issues related to student conduct relevant to examinations.
- Report to the Principal and the Awarding Body any suspected or confirmed breaches or malpractice of the examination regulations.
- Be present at the start and finish of all examination providing assistance as required, with internal school examinations and other occasions when students are tested/ assessed in examination conditions.
- Recruit, train and monitor external invigilators for each examination session. The daily management of the invigilators may be delegated to a senior invigilator although ultimate responsibility remains with the postholder.
- Check and monitor exam invigilator timesheets for accuracy ensuring timely submission in line with School payroll procedures.
The Examination and Administrative Support Officer will:
- Be responsible for recording and distributing all incoming and outgoing post on a daily basis.
- Complete all examination photocopying for internal and external examinations.
- Provide support to complete general school photocopying.
- Provide Reception cover as required, ensuring all visitors are welcomed and dealt with according to Nishkam High School Birmingham expectations.
- Answer telephone calls in a polite and courteous manner; record information on Management Information System (MIS) and promptly forward accurate messages to relevant members of staff.
- Undertake minor first aid as and when required.
- Input and maintain pupil information on our (MIS).
Support for the School
The Examination and Administrative Support Officer will also:
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the school.
- Appreciate and support the role of other professionals.
- Attend relevant meetings as required.
- Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required.