Senior Science Technician
We are looking to recruit an experienced senior science technician to support our busy science department.
At Grace Academy Coventry the Science faculty delivers a variety of courses from Key stage 3 right through to A level. The role of Senior Science Technician is to lead and direct the science technical team to offer faculty support. This is mainly to prepare the materials and equipment required by the teaching staff, for use in practical demonstration’s to support the challenging teaching and learning offered by the faculty.
- To manage effectively the science equipment used by teaching staff
- To provide administrative support for the work of the faculty
- To lead and motivate the team of Science Technicians
- Ensure the technical team carry out the accurate and timely preparation of materials, apparatus and other equipment as requested by teaching staff in time to resolve any problems or eliminate uncertainty.
- Be available during practical lessons to deal with requests/problems to enable the lessons to run smoothly and assist as required in demonstrations and experiments in the class room environment.
- Ensure equipment and materials are returned to the prep room at the end of the lesson and checked for state of repair and working order. Remove faulty or broken equipment and list it for either repair or replacement & disposal.
- Implement and maintain an effective system of stock control for both equipment and materials that can identify shortages and evoke appropriate action.
- Devise and operate a systematic storage system for all equipment and materials that can be operated easily and effectively by the technical team and teaching staff.
- Take responsibility for the checking of the labs at the end of the day to ensure that nothing has been left lying around and gas supplies have been turned off.
- Ensure the safe control, storage, use and disposal of chemicals and materials in line with the guidelines issued by the Department for Health, CLEAPS and the HSE.
- Facilitate the repair, by self or by others, of all basic equipment and ensure that all electrical equipment is PAT tested on an annual basis.
- Maintenance a comprehensive and up to date filing system for lesson resources, requisition sheets and other key documents in use by the faculty.
- Maintain a list of texts book given out to individual pupils and implement a system to facilitate their return at the end of the course of study.
- Manage the faculty accounts under the direction of the FLL Science and ensure orders are placed in a timely manner so as not to disrupt the teaching and learning of the faculty. Be responsible for the checking of all purchases against delivery notes, chase discrepancies and then sign off the invoice for payment when all is correct.
- To monitor, record and replenish the faculty petty cash system in line with the school’s financial systems and procedures.
How to apply: Please read through the information in the pack carefully and please do not hesitate to contact the Academy if you would like to arrange a pre application visit – we strongly welcome this. If you cannot make a visit, then please feel free to phone us to talk about the post. You should ensure that you have completed all sections of the application form. Please submit your letter of application with no more than one A4 side, plus your application form to Sarah McAdam via email at email@example.com by 12 noon on the 30th September 2021.