Are you motivated, enthusiastic, see change as an opportunity to develop and improve the way we work? Then Rugby Borough Council is the place to be…
Here at Rugby Borough Council, we’re growing. In fact, we’re proud to be one of the fastest growing towns in the country, with some exciting commercial developments. This has all been made possible thanks to our strong financial position. We have a strong, collaborative and supportive culture that enables everyone to grow and develop. Ensuring employees have a positive work life balance is really important to us. We have an agile working policy, which enables our people to work flexibly either at home and/or in the main Town Hall.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a Lead Accountant. You could be an newly qualifies accountant, who we will support in making the step-up or an experienced accountant who is looking for a change and wants to be part of a new exciting and supportive team.
There are two generic lead accountants within the team who will share the responsibility for:
- The annual budget setting process for the General Fund and Housing Revenue Account ensuring that the council’s strategic objectives for financial matters are also met in the medium term through effective planning in conjunction with the Technical and Finance Manager.
- The production of financial strategies including the Medium Term Financial Strategy, Medium Term Financial Plan, Housing Business Plan, Treasury Management Strategy and Capital Strategy.
- Role dependant, to act as the Council’s expert on all financial matters relating to
- Housing Services, including the HRA and General Fund Housing services.
- General Fund
- Treasury Management
- Collection Fund
- Manage and co-ordinate the Council’s revenue and capital budget monitoring, including preparation of reports for Leadership Team and Committees.
- Provide a proactive internal financial advisory service to the Council across a range of major corporate initiatives, projects and schemes.
- The Council’s Treasury Management activities and Council Strategy
- All VAT implications in respect of payments made and income received.
- The development of financial reporting and monitoring tools for Budget Managers to support the Council’s objective to provide a more self-service approach to forecasting and budget planning.
- Co-ordinate the Council’s capital budgets and programme, including financing and all associated balance sheet and asset management transactions.
- To play a significant and leading role in the closure of the Council’s annual accounts and production of the Statement of Accounts, for the General Fund, the HRA and collection fund, plus the Whole of Government Accounts.
If you’re positive, driven and are interested in delivering and embedding change whilst providing a high standard of financial support then this is the move for you.
For an informal discussion about this role, please call Jon Illingworth, Chief Officer for Finance and Performance on 01788 533410.
To find out more, please visit https://rightforrugby.org.uk/
Closing Date: 17 October 2021
Interview Date: w/commencing 1 November (face to face or Teams)
Rugby Borough Council is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Job Description & Person Specification