Active Travel Officer
As the Active Travel Officer, your role will be to develop and deliver an ambitious regional programme of active travel projects which will deliver new infrastructure and change human behaviour. This is a Fixed-Term contract until 31st March 2023.
What will you be doing?
- Coordinate the development and delivery of a specific package of active travel projects with partners, including cycle and walking infrastructure projects and cycle parking
- Manage, develop and complete project documentation using a variety of online project management tools, with a high level of accuracy and consistency
- Manage project reporting schedules and ensuring all project reporting is completed to deadlines
- Develop and deliver robust Monitoring and Evaluation plans for each project according to the requirements of both the funder and of WMCA and partners
- Liaise with the Office of the Mayor of the West Midlands and providing associated briefing notes and correspondence responses on behalf of the Mayor as required
- Deliver monitoring and evaluation activities in line with TfWM requirements and guidance from funders
- Produce and present briefing notes or reports to WMCA Governance, leadership or external partners
- Make decisions relating to budgets within delegated authority limits
- Educated to Degree standard or have relevant work experience
- Strong experience in developing and implementing projects
- Ability to draft and present reports, technical documents, presentations and other communications in a timely and effective manner
- Ability to effectively prioritise, manage multiple priorities, make effective decisions and stay calm under pressure
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to develop relationships at all levels
About the team
Transport for West Midlands, part of the West Midlands Combined Authority, is responsible for making transport ‘happen’. We plan, develop and manage an integrated transport system for the West Midlands that is clean, safe, affordable and accessible for all. Our ambition is to create a happier, healthier and better-connected region through improving transport.
Our aim is to make the whole of the West Midlands better connected and more prosperous by creating attractive urban environments in city and town centres, along key transport corridors and within our suburbs, to position cycling and walking as the optimal travel choices for transport and for leisure. The West Midlands cycling and walking network will see significant investment over the next few years and will benefit from historic levels of funding, helping to create a place that is fit for the future, safe, green and connected. Our ambitious plans include improved infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians, as well as delivering supporting activities such as training and campaigns.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications - bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive a benefits package that includes 27 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Role Profile Active Travel Officer_Final.pdf