Homeless Support Officer
Wychavon District Council is a great place to work, with high levels of resident satisfaction and motivated staff who enjoy working with us. Located in South Worcestershire the district boasts a beautiful natural environment, a rich heritage and plenty to do and see. Wychavon district is also ranked as second best rural place to live in the UK.
We pride ourselves on being a progressive organisation who spends time and energy on what we know matters to our residents and communities – things like creating jobs, keeping the streets clean, helping people feel safe and preventing homelessness.
Our staff are at the heart of what we do, and as a result we are always looking to recruit, develop and retain the very best talent we can find. That's why, as well as a satisfying job, we offer a range of attractive benefits, such as flexible working arrangements, generous holiday entitlements, a pension scheme, plenty of opportunities for personal development, and discounted gym membership.
We share a Chief Executive/Managing Director and a joint management team with Malvern Hills District Council. Whilst they retain their own political structures and distinct identities, the joint management structure allows us to maximise the opportunity to deliver a wide range of good value services to our customers and communities, and operate and develop shared services and partnership arrangements with each other and with other councils.
Working in housing can be incredibly rewarding as you can make a real difference to peoples’ lives. We are delighted to have received funding to appoint an experienced housing professional to develop our existing service provision, focusing on supporting people at risk of homeless and those at risk of rough sleeping, to both prevent and to relieve homelessness
Homeless Support Officer
Three years Fixed Term Contract
Up to £24,491 per annum
The post holder will be expected to provide assertive outreach, to assess needs and any underlying causes that may result in the customer becoming homeless, advising on options and ensuring their needs are met.
This job role will involve working with those at risk of homelessness and helping customers who are sleeping rough to move off the streets and into emergency accommodation, to create a pathway plan into sustainable housing that includes addressing barriers to re-housing. To deliver a pre-tenancy programme for those living within emergency accommodation,
The post holder will be required to work in partnership to provide an integrated homeless prevention programme and to attend meetings and liaise with outside organisations as required.
The post will cover both our Malvern and Wychavon districts.
To succeed in this role you will need:
- To be customer focused and dedicated to providing an excellent service
- Have previous experience of working in a housing or customer service environment
- Be a team player who can work well with others and is able to innovate / act on own initiative whilst being responsive to the needs of others
- Have good I.T. skills
- To be able to prioritise a varied workload
To be able to deal with difficult situations in a calm and caring manner
- A sound working knowledge of housing including welfare benefits and the underlying causes of homelessness and associated needs such as mental health, substance misuse and alcohol dependency.
- Advising and assisting all customers on complex housing matters relating to homelessness with a focus on partnership working. An aptitude for working with people who may display challenging behaviour and be experiencing difficult circumstances
For further information about the role, please contact Naomi Morris, Principal Housing Officer on 01386 565292 or email email@example.com
Closing date: Sunday 17 October 2021
Interviews: Wednesday 27 October 2021