Lawyer - Planning and Highways
Lawyer - Planning and Highways
Hours: 37 hours
Grade HC11 £43,857 - £48,117 per Annum
Closing date: 1st November
It is an exciting time to join Herefordshire Council. We have embarked on an ambitious improvement programme with our new Chief Executive setting a new vision for the future.
We have ambitions for Herefordshire to be an exemplar of 21st century rural living where market towns and rural communities are properly valued and recognised for the contributions they make to the success of the county. We’re striving to create a thriving local economy which is sustainable, well connected and offers wellbeing across the whole of the county.
We’re looking for fresh thinking and enthusiastic staff who will support our ambition and passion for Herefordshire, its citizens and communities. We are proud of our stunning county and our exceptional staff and this is a fantastic opportunity to make your mark and help us take Herefordshire to the next level.
Our Legal Services team has had new investment to develop and grow our Lawyers and Legal Officers. You will be ambitious, energetic and share our vision to provide high quality services and achieve the LExcel Accreditation. In return we offer a comprehensive training and development programme including in management and leadership skills. We welcome applications from individuals nationwide, as the Council is adopting permanent arrangements to allow a flexible approach to working.
However for those looking to move to Herefordshire we are proud of our county and we want to share it. We live and work in a beautiful county. Foodies enthuse about the quality of our produce. Adrenalin seekers rave about our rock faces and River Wye rapids. Walkers call our Herefordshire countryside breath-taking. We have festivals, celebrations and events to excite every passion and awaken every sense.
Then there's the culturally captivated, who take time to live, breathe and absorb our art, history, poetry and literature.
Now more than ever, our colleagues and residents appreciate the open space and easy access to beautiful countryside that Herefordshire has to offer. With affordable housing costs and every choice of countryside, village, market town or city living, Herefordshire is a great place to live and work - you're never far from green space and clean air!
We also offer a generous relocation package of up to £5000 if you decide to relocate to Herefordshire.
We are looking for an experienced planning and highways lawyer to join a small and dedicated Planning and Highways Team in handling more complex planning, highways and environmental protection transactions and issues.
Expertise in planning and highways law and practice is essential.
Minimum three years PQE as a practising barrister, solicitor or CILEX as well as three years previous experience of working within a local authority in this specialism are essential.
The ability to work autonomously and reliably on more complex or difficult projects and policies in the specialist areas of planning and highways is essential, as is having an in-depth understanding of the legal issues and relevant law specific to the job which will include but not be limited to:
• Planning - Development Management, Planning obligations, Enforcement, Conservation and Listed Buildings, Strategic Plans (including Neighbourhood Development Plans), Building Control and Ecology;
• Highways - Traffic Regulations, Public Rights of Way, Strategic highways, Drainage, drafting of highway agreements;
together with the ability to:
• negotiate and / or advise the client on all areas of planning and highways law and practice;
• draft documents based on the Council’s standard documents, authoritative precedents and creating bespoke agreements; and
• adopt a problem solving approach to planning and/or highways disputes prior to litigation.
In addition you will be required to:
• assist the Senior Lawyer with major infrastructure development project schemes and attend project meetings as and when necessary.
• have conduct of or assist the Senior Lawyer with judicial reviews and statutory challenges arising out of the exercise of the Council’s planning and highways functions and to advise on and negotiate settlements as appropriate.
• undertake advocacy in the Magistrates or County Court on more complex matters of a planning or highways nature and instructing counsel where necessary.
• deputise for the Senior Lawyer, to attend the Planning Committee and the Licensing Committee and any other formal meetings or panels as required in the field to provide legal advice.
Knowledge and/or experience in environmental law (environmental protection), of compulsory purchase and land acquisition and regeneration would be desirable.
For a confidential and informal discussion on the roles please contact Philippa Granthier, Practice Manager on 01432 261929 or email Philippa.email@example.com.
We welcome applicants whatever their personal characteristics or social identity. All requests for flexible working arrangements and reasonable adjustments will be considered.
The following candidates will be interviewed if they meet the essential criteria for the post they are applying for:
• Those who indicate that they have a disability. This is part of our commitment to the “Disability Confident” scheme;
• Those who indicate in their supporting statement that they are an Armed Forces Veteran or Reservist. This is part of our pledge to support the Armed Forces Covenant; and
• Those who indicate in their supporting statement that they are a Herefordshire care leaver. This is part of our commitment to supporting young people leaving our care.
Benefits with Herefordshire Council
• Holidays: 25 days per year plus 2 days unpaid at Christmas (pro rata for part time)
• Pension: LGS pension scheme
• Pick your perks – our benefits include access to a range of retail, leisure, holiday and health benefits. This includes savings, cash back and discounts.
• We also offer an employee assistance programme that means you will have access to confidential support and advice if you ever need it.
Please refer to the Job Description and Person Specification for more details of this role.
To apply, please submit your CV along with a supporting statement, referring to the job description and person specification, detailing how you meet the specific requirements of the role.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you would like to obtain details regarding feedback on your application please contact Hoople Resourcing at: firstname.lastname@example.org