Bus Development Specialist
As the Bus Development Specialist, you will be working collaboratively across the Bus Delivery Team and other internal and external stakeholders to develop and implement specific operational requirements to deliver the outcomes for bus services and operations as defined in the West Midlands Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP) and the resulting Enhanced Partnership. This is a 6 month Fixed-Term contract.
What will you be doing?
- Work closely with local bus operators, the Bus Services Manager and the wider team to undertake strategic planning to define a West Midlands Bus Network
- Identify and evaluate options and plan for the implementation and management of the wider roll out of demand responsive bus services in the region
- Engage with Local Authorities and other stakeholders in regard to strategic proposals for the development of the bus network ensuring it delivers on their aspirations and objectives for delivering modal shift, enhanced accessibility and improvements in air quality
- Work closely with the Head of Transformation and the Head of Bus to identify and evaluate options for the provision of Ring & Ride services in the West Midlands ensuring that the Bus Delivery Team has suitable processes in place to manage any resulting contracts or alternative arrangements
- Plan for the adoption of bus service registration powers from the Office of the Traffic Commissioner and ensure the insourcing of this activity is implemented to support the delivery the Enhanced Partnership from April 2022
- Prepare and present reports, proposals, briefing notes and reports to key stakeholders and other partners
The Role Holder will have:
- Demonstrable and relatable experience of working in the public transport sector or similar role
- Good analytical skills, able to review information and determine the best approach
- Experience of developing and implementing new systems and or operating arrangements
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to confidently persuade and inform key senior stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively as part of a fast-paced team
- Able to make decisions effectively, using either own knowledge or available data
- The desire to learn and develop
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us.
We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women. As a Disability Confident Employer, we have made a positive commitment to interviewing all applicants with a disability who meet the essential role criteria. We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
About your application
The online Application Form you'll be asked to complete plays a key part in our recruitment and selection process. We use the information you provide to decide whether to invite you for an interview. It is important that you complete the Application Form as fully and accurately as possible. You will be asked to upload a Supporting Statement (not a CV) and this should include specific examples which demonstrate how you meet the essential criteria for the role for which you are applying.
If you would like to discuss alternative methods to the online application as a reasonable adjustment please contact the Resourcing Team by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Role Profile - Bus Development Specialist.docx