Cover Manager (37 Hours Per Week)
POST: Cover Manager
LINE MANAGER: Deputy Headteacher
To have responsibility for ensuring arrangements are in place to cover for both planned and unplanned staff absences by deploying cover supervisors and arranging supply staff as appropriate.
To manage the work carried out by the cover team, ensuring that both internal staff and external agency staff are provided with information and resources enabling them to cover classes effectively in accordance with the school’s policies and procedures.
To supervise whole classes during the short-term absence of the class teacher under the guidance of teaching/senior staff, including implementing work programmes, managing pupil behaviour and assisting pupils in relevant activities in line with the school’s policies and procedures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- To arrange cover for absent staff using SIMS, this will include using a pool of relief cover supervisors and supply teaching staff.
- To ensure that work has been set for absent teachers whilst ensuring that cover supervisors/agency staff are informed and provided with the appropriate resources enabling them to support the classes as required.
- To liaise with supply agencies as required to secure appropriate cover staff
- Manage and oversee the cover supervisor team including training and performance management.
- To monitor the ‘reporting’ systems for the absences of staff (i.e. telephone and absent requests) on a daily basis, as well as maintaining the diary of events to support the implementation of cover arrangements in advance where possible.
- Liaise with relevant senior colleagues regarding staff absence.
- Update SIMS to ensure the accuracy of staff absence records.
- To monitor the supply staffing budget, ensuring that expenditure is kept to a minimum whilst ensuring the delivery of the school curriculum is not interrupted.
- To ensure supply staff and agencies adhere to school policies and procedures including Child Protection and Safeguarding.
- To supervise classes and provide classroom cover for absent staff as part of the cover team.
Standards and Quality Assurance
- Support the aims and ethos of the school.
- Set a good example in terms of dress, punctuality and attendance.
- Attend team and staff meetings.
- Undertake professional duties that may be reasonably assigned by the Headteacher.
- Be proactive in matters relating to health and safety.
- Be committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
The duties and responsibilities in this job description are note exhaustive. The post-holder may be required to undertake other duties from time to time within the general scope of the post. Any such duties should not substantially change the general character of the post. Duties and responsibilities outside of the general scope of this grade of post will be with the consent of the post-holder.