Rural Housing Officer
Wychavon District Council is a great place to work, with high levels of resident satisfaction and motivated staff who enjoy working with us. Located in South Worcestershire the district boasts a beautiful natural environment, a rich heritage and plenty to do and see. Wychavon district is also ranked as second-best rural place to live in the UK.
We pride ourselves on being a progressive organisation who spends time and energy on what we know matters to our residents and communities – things like creating jobs, keeping the streets clean, helping people feel safe and preventing homelessness.
Our Housing Services team provides services across both Wychavon and Malvern Hills District Councils and works hard to make a real difference to people’s lives.
Our staff are at the heart of what we do, and as a result we are always looking to recruit, develop and retain the very best talent we can find. That's why, as well as a satisfying job, we offer a range of attractive benefits, such as flexible working arrangements, generous holiday entitlements, a pension scheme, plenty of opportunities for personal development, and discounted gym membership.
Rural Housing Enabler
Fixed Term Contract for one year
£28,672 - £32,234 per annum
The Housing Service is currently looking for a proactive person to enable the development of affordable housing across our rural districts, working closely with Parish Councils, Community Led Housing groups, housing providers, developers, and the Planning Service.
This incredibly rewarding role makes a real difference to people’s lives and the availability of new, affordable housing for those in need, particularly in our rural areas.
You will be based in a small, friendly, and proactive team within the Housing and Communities Directorate.
Experience of affordable housing and the planning system is desirable, but not essential, as on the job training will be provided.
We are keen to hear from you if you have transferable skills (partnership working, research skills, negotiation and influencing, communication skills etc. ) and can demonstrate the ability to get up to speed quickly.
Secondments are welcomed.
The Council’s flexible working policy applies to these roles, allowing for flexibility in remote working and working patterns.
We are looking for someone who can:
- engage with community based organisations to raise awareness and increase the provision of affordable housing schemes across the two districts
- promote community led affordable housing and inspire new groups
- provide advice and guidance to communities wishing to embark on rural housing projects (training will be given) e.g. Community Led Housing
- manage projects effectively and work in partnership with communities and a range of stakeholders
- work with parish councils to raise awareness of affordable housing and the benefits to the local communities, and identify land and opportunities to deliver affordable housing
- work with the Worcestershire Community Led Housing Hub to promote Community Led Housing across Malvern Hills and Wychavon
- work as part of a team to identify affordable housing needs within the districts
- Demonstrate commitment to delivering the Council's values of great customer service, openness and accountability, innovation and improvement and fairness and respect.
- Be responsible for championing and demonstrating the Council’s Leadership Behaviour Framework by inspiring, communicating, collaborating, and empowering self and others and leading by example.
- A genuine interest in Housing and a desire to make a difference to the lives of people.
- Knowledge of/commitment to understand the planning system and how it can help deliver affordable housing
- The ability to gather, analyse and present housing needs evidence to demonstrate the need for affordable housing (working as part of a team)
- The ability to work with a range of key partners to enable affordable housing e.g. housing providers, developers, parish councils
- Project management skills
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Good IT skills
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Partnership working
- Ability to persuade, influence and negotiate
- Ability to analyse and present information to a wide range of audiences
- Knowledge and understanding of regional and local housing priorities
- Understanding of how the planning system can help to deliver affordable housing
- Experience of multi-agency working and delivery of agreed objectives, meeting targets and working to tight deadlines
This post is required to attend occasional out of hours meetings.
To discuss either of the posts, or for further information, please contact Laura Marshall (Principal Housing Officer – Strategic Enabling) 07812 519956 firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Sunday 7 November 2021
Interview Date: Thursday 18 November 2021