Housing Development Officer
Wychavon District Council is a great place to work, with high levels of resident satisfaction and motivated staff who enjoy working with us. Located in South Worcestershire the district boasts a beautiful natural environment, a rich heritage and plenty to do and see. Wychavon district is also ranked as second-best rural place to live in the UK.
We pride ourselves on being a progressive organisation who spends time and energy on what we know matters to our residents and communities – things like creating jobs, keeping the streets clean, helping people feel safe and preventing homelessness.
Our Housing Services team provides services across both Wychavon and Malvern Hills District Councils and works hard to make a real difference to people’s lives.
Our staff are at the heart of what we do, and as a result we are always looking to recruit, develop and retain the very best talent we can find. That's why, as well as a satisfying job, we offer a range of attractive benefits, such as flexible working arrangements, generous holiday entitlements, a pension scheme, plenty of opportunities for personal development, and discounted gym membership.
Housing Development Officer
Full Time, Fixed Term Contract up to 12months (Maternity Cover)
£32,234 - £35,745 per annum
The Housing Service is currently looking for a proactive person to enable the development of affordable housing across our rural districts, working in partnership with developers, housing providers and the Planning Service.
This incredibly rewarding role makes a real difference to people’s lives and the availability of new, affordable housing for those in need, particularly in our rural areas.
You will be based in a small, friendly, and proactive team within the Housing and Communities Directorate.
Experience of affordable housing and the planning system is desirable, but not essential, as on the job training will be provided.
We are keen to hear from you if you have transferable skills (partnership working, research skills, negotiation and influencing, interpretation of legal and policy documents) and can demonstrate the ability to get up to speed quickly.
Secondments are welcomed.
The Council’s flexible working policy applies to these roles, allowing for flexibility in remote working and working patterns.
We are looking for someone who can:
- Work as part of a team to identify affordable housing needs within the districts
- Work closely with Planning, and respond to planning applications, to ensure the right type and tenure of affordable housing is delivered to meet identified local housing need.
- Take a proactive approach to the delivery of affordable housing through working with registered housing providers and developers, Homes England, Parish Councils, and the private sector.
- Provide advice on affordable housing need/requirements to registered housing providers, planning agents and developers.
- Work closely with the Legal team to ensure affordable homes remain affordable.
- Demonstrate commitment to delivering the Council's values of great customer service, openness and accountability, innovation and improvement and fairness and respect.
- Be responsible for championing and demonstrating the Council’s Leadership Behaviour Framework by inspiring, communicating, collaborating, and empowering self and others and leading by example.
- A genuine interest in Housing and a desire to make a difference to the lives of people.
- Knowledge of, or commitment to learning about, the planning system and how it can help deliver affordable housing.
- The ability to gather, analyse and present housing needs evidence to demonstrate the need for affordable housing (working as part of a team)
- The ability to work with a range of key partners to enable affordable housing e.g., housing providers, developers, parish councils
- The ability to review and understand legislation and policy relevant to planning applications and affordable housing (training will be provided)
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Good IT skills
- Good organisational and time management skills
Skills and Experiences:
- Ability to analyse and present information to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to persuade, influence and negotiate
- Knowledge and understanding of regional and local housing priorities
- Understanding of how the planning system can help to deliver affordable housing
- Experience of multi-agency working and delivery of agreed objectives, meeting targets and working to tight deadlines
For further information or to discuss the roles, please contact Laura Marshall (Principal Housing Officer – Strategic Enabling) 07812 519956 firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Sunday 7 November 2021
Interview date: Monday 15 November 2021