Principal Housing Officer- Housing Options
Wychavon District Council is a great place to work, with high levels of resident satisfaction and motivated staff who enjoy working with us. Located in South Worcestershire the district boasts a beautiful natural environment, a rich heritage and plenty to do and see.
We pride ourselves on being a progressive organisation who spends time and energy on what we know matters to our residents and communities – things like creating jobs, keeping the streets clean, helping people feel safe and preventing homelessness.
Our staff are at the heart of what we do, and as a result we are always looking to recruit, develop and retain the very best talent we can find. That's why, as well as a satisfying job, we offer a range of attractive benefits, such as flexible working arrangements, generous holiday entitlements, a pension scheme, plenty of opportunities for personal development, and discounted gym membership.
We share a Chief Executive and a joint management team with Malvern Hills District Council. Whilst they retain their own political structures and distinct identities, the joint management structure allows us to maximise the opportunity to deliver a wide range of good value services to our customers and communities, and operate and develop shared services and partnership arrangements with each other and with other councils.
Principal Housing Officer – Housing Options
£41,881 - £45,859 per annum
We are looking for an individual who can be dynamic, think on their feet and respond to the needs of their service area. This is an expanding and developing service that requires a strong leader with the ability to manage different roles, personalities and functions across the team. We want someone who champions our Leadership Behaviour framework by inspiring, communicating, collaborating and powering self and others, leading by example.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the delivering of our statutory housing function which means we want to see an eye for detail and an understanding of how relevant legislation can be developed in to practice. It is important that the Council’s values are up-held and we want to see that the successful candidate demonstrates openness, innovation, fairness, respect and great customer service at the heart of everything they do.
We are looking for someone who has a keen interest in the national agenda and builds strong relationships both internally and externally. We want to ensure a high-quality Housing Options service that is innovative and takes into consideration best practice from across the UK.
The Housing Options Team has expanded over recent years with the implementation of the Homelessness Reduction Act (2017) and the introduction of the national Rough Sleeper Strategy which means an understanding of outcomes and quality assurance is a key part of the role. The successful candidate must be able to embed robust quality assurance processes and work with the team to ensure that all service initiatives are delivering the outcomes expected.
We look forward to receiving applications from strong, inspirational leaders who can continue to support the team to recover from the impact of the pandemic and ensure the service is delivered to a high standard. We believe it is imperative that the successful candidate is able to demonstrate a passion for supporting homeless households and is able to inspire their team to ensure each customer gets the best possible service.
- At least 3 years experience working in a housing environment or similar field
- Knowledge and understanding of regional and local housing priorities
- Knowledge and understanding of legislation affecting this area of work
- Experience of maintaining a strong customer focussed environment
- Experience of leading multi-agency working and delivery of agreed objectives, meeting targets and working to tight deadlines
- Ability and experience of supporting a team through change
See JD and person specification for detailed account of responsibilities.
Skills & Experience:
- An experience of Housing Options in Local Government
- Expert understanding of the Housing Act (1996) and Homelessness Reduction Act (2017)
- An awareness of Outreach services including approved approaches like PIE and Motivational Interviewing
- Experience leading large teams with varied roles, motivating and inspiring staff to deliver an excellent service
- A confident manager who has experience managing staff in a busy operational environment
- Experience of a Local Government environment and ability to communicate appropriately with a wide variety of stakeholders, including both customers and elected members.
To discuss the post or for further information, please call the Head of Housing Services, Elaine Salter on 01386565241
Closing date: 31 October 2021
Interview date: 12 November 2021