Empty Property Officer
This post is fixed term until 30 November 2023.
The Citizen and Consumer Protection (Accommodation) Team are looking to recruit a motivated, well-organised individual as an Empty Property Officer to drive the team’s Empty Property Strategy to bring private long-term empty homes back into residential use across the borough.
You will engage with nuisance empty properties across Sandwell as part of a drive to reduce the number of long-term empty homes and assist in increasing the amount of quality family homes available to residents in the borough.
You will be responsible for identifying and reducing the number of long-term empty properties in the borough, particularly those which are blighting neighbourhoods. You will work with owners of empty properties to ensure that they better manage their properties as well to ensure that they bring homes back into residential use, utilising a broad range of statutory enforcement powers where needed.
You will be:
- Qualified to BTEC HNC/HND level in Building/Surveying or hold an Environmental Health qualification or other relevant qualification and/or have considerable experience previously working as an Empty Property Officer in a previous role.
- Certified competent in carrying out HHSRS surveying is advantageous.
You will have:
- Experience in tacking empty properties and experience in negotiating with private land owners regarding building works and disrepair.
- Sound knowledge of construction and an awareness of the legal process relevant to this area of work.
- Be able to evidence a good working knowledge of empty property enforcement powers.
- Experience relating to HMOs, Housing Standards Enforcement and illegal residential conversions is advantageous.
Our Values; Trust, Unity and Progress make us unique, they define how we do things and are reflected in the way we behave. They are important to us, guiding and shaping our organisational culture. Our values are key to us achieving Sandwell’s Vision 2030 and also guide us when we recruit.
37 hours per week
We reserve the right to close vacancies prior to their advertised date if we receive a large number of applications. Therefore, you are strongly advised to complete and return your application as soon as possible. When completing your application please refer to the supporting documents attached.
If you have a disability and require assistance in making an application, or have experienced a problem whilst applying for a position, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0121 569 3300 or via e-mail to: email@example.com