Executive Director, Transport for West Midlands
Do you have what it takes to lead a transport revolution? In November 2021, West Midlands Combined Authority appointed its new, permanent CEO. With this recent appointment now confirmed, Transport for West Midlands is looking for a new Executive Director to lead the directorate.
This is a senior post that provides strategic expertise, advice and guidance on transport on behalf of the West Midlands Combined Authority, and leads and manages an integrated transport directorate, including accountability for Midland Metro.
Transport for West Midlands is leading the way in developing a world-class transport system for the West Midlands. The team, lead by the Executive Director, is responsible for the region's transport strategy. Everything the team does is about improving transport in the West Midlands.
Selected responsibilities as Executive Director include:
- Providing specialist transport expertise, advice and guidance to the Metro Mayor, Portfolio Lead, Chief Executive and Director colleagues of the WMCA to support the development of transport policy, investment decision and scheme development
- Ensuring that all activities within the Transport Directorate are supporting the delivery of the WMCA Policy and priorities and the role of transport in underpinning economic growth across the region is maximised
- Providing effective leadership including strategic direction to the Transport Leadership team and the functions within the Directorate including Bus, Rail, Asset Management, Active Travel (Walking and Cycling) and the Key Route Network
- Overseeing the development of transport schemes to ensure continuous development and improvement of the transport network within the West Midlands
- Be a proactive member of the WMCA Senior Leadership Team, supporting the overall strategic direction of the organisation and supporting delivery of its priorities
- Ensuring that the needs of customers, existing and potential are placed at the forefront of all decision making within a value for money context
- Be the organisations senior representative on a range of external bodies such as Urban Transport Group etc
- Position the West Midlands as the premier region both nationally and internationally in terms of transport provision whilst also acting as the regions senior transport officer advocate in respect of enhancing its reputation in the transportation field
- Proactively build relationships with relevant stakeholders including central government to promote and increase the organisations contribution and influence on the wider regional and national transport agendas in the delivery of existing and future transport solutions for WMCA to support economic growth
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with public transport industry partners, including, commercial bus operators, the rail industry, the light rail industry and operators and the public
- To lead the smart mobility agenda to take advantage of the technology advancement and innovation in the transport sector
- Lead, manage, develop and deliver a highly motivated team in respect of transportation policy and planning
For a more comprehensive list of accountabilities, including additional corporate responsibilities as SLT member, please take a look at the Job Description or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As you'd expect, we're looking for someone with significant, demonstrable experience in a senior leadership role in a transport or construction project environment. Extensive track record of providing value-add, specialist technical input into the formulation and delivery of strategies and policies in a public sector organisation or other organisation of comparable scope and complexity is required. In addition, we're looking for the following:
- Comprehensive experience of financial and resource management and providing specialist technical input into major capital schemes
- Experience of using financial and commercial awareness and the ability to analyse complex information to deliver objectives
- Evidence of achieving excellence in the delivery of services
- Evidence of involvement in the development of major schemes
- Proven record of developing and utilising links with Stakeholders/Partners at a senior level
- Evidence of translating ideas into practice
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us.
We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women. As a Disability Confident Employer, we have made a positive commitment to interviewing all applicants with a disability who meet the essential role criteria. We are committed to building a team of people with varied backgrounds and experiences as we recognise that this will only benefit us as an employer, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be, and welcome applications from young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Furthermore, wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance. We are very happy to discuss a flexible working pattern that suits your needs, so please do not let that be a barrier to applying. If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
About your application
The online Application Form you'll be asked to complete plays a key part in our recruitment and selection process. We use the information you provide to decide whether to invite you for an interview. It is important that you complete the Application Form as fully and accurately as possible. You will be asked to upload a Supporting Statement (not a CV) and this should include specific examples which demonstrate how you meet the essential criteria for the role for which you are applying.
If you would like to discuss alternative methods to the online application as a reasonable adjustment please contact the Resourcing Team by email (email@example.com).