Zero Emission Bus Delivery Manager
This specialist role will be the primary point of contact within the West Midlands Combined Authority for all matters relating to zero-emission buses. The key deliverable will be the development and implementation of a strategy to ensure that all local bus services are operated with zero-emission buses by 2030. Within a deregulated environment this will involve working in close partnership with the region’s bus operators, recognising that the Authority is continuing to assess options to take a more proactive role in service delivery in the future.
What will you be doing?
- As the Zero Emission Bus Delivery Manager you will lead on the development of a transformational phased change programme, to deliver a zero-emission bus fleet operating across the region by 2030, as outlined in the Region’s Bus Service Improvement Plan
- Manage and lead the development and delivery of the West Midlands zero-emission bus strategy and act as the lead on all technical aspects in terms of the future bus fleet strategy
- Develop a Business Case for investment in zero-emission buses by the Combined Authority in order to accelerate the decarbonisation of the region’s bus fleet
- Provide technical advice and guidance for Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) on all matters relating to zero-emission buses and associated charging and fuelling infrastructure
- Lead on collaboration across the region to understand the local requirements of the bus network to ensure that the most appropriate zero emission technology is deployed on bus routes across the region, through liaison with bus operators and other stakeholders
- Act as Project Sponsor (technical lead) for the £140m Coventry All Electric Bus City programme and other zero-emission bus projects, supporting the Project Manager
- Work with the Bus Services team to identify opportunities for funding to support investment in zero-emission buses and associated assets in the West Midlands Combined Authority area and support the development of funding bids in partnership with bus operators and other stakeholders as required.
- Will possess a degree or equivalent qualification/experience in a relevant subject
- Strong demonstrable technical knowledge of zero-emission vehicles, including electric and Hydrogen, and associated technologies
- Proven track record of developing and delivering projects via complex relationship management
- Be able to positively influence partners, colleagues and clients through a balance of supportive and challenging behaviours
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Membership of a professional transport sector organisation would be beneficial
- Knowledge of the bus industry advantageous
- You may be required to work outside normal office hours from time-to-time to fulfil the responsibilities of the role.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us.
We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women. As a Disability Confident Employer, we have made a positive commitment to interviewing all applicants with a disability who meet the essential role criteria. We are committed to building a team of people with varied backgrounds and experiences as we recognise that this will only benefit us as an employer, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be, and welcome applications from young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Furthermore, wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance. We are very happy to discuss a flexible working pattern that suits your needs, so please do not let that be a barrier to applying. If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
About your application
The online Application Form you'll be asked to complete plays a key part in our recruitment and selection process. We use the information you provide to decide whether to invite you for an interview. It is important that you complete the Application Form as fully and accurately as possible. You will be asked to upload a Supporting Statement (not a CV) and this should include specific examples which demonstrate how you meet the essential criteria for the role for which you are applying.
If you would like to discuss alternative methods to the online application as a reasonable adjustment please contact the Resourcing Team by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Role Profile - Zero Emission Bus Delivery Manager.docx