Strategic Communications Manager – Stakeholders and Events
Are you a creative communications professional looking to help shape the future of the West Midlands? Have you got what it takes to identify and engage key influencers and stakeholders? Are you a natural collaborator, comfortable working with and through a range of people to achieve great things? If you feel you have the qualities, skills and experience to fulfil this vital role, and would like to help shape the future of our region, we would love to hear from you.
WMCA’s Communications Team has gone through significant transformation to better support the needs of our growing organisation - and we are now looking for a Strategic Communications Manager to lead the provision of an events delivery service for the organisation, ensuring in-person and virtual events are delivered to a high standard. This high-prole role supports senior leaders in building and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders.
The role joins a creative, ambitious team communicating the work of the West Midlands Combined Authority and how it is making a difference in the region.
What will you be doing?
- Identify key stakeholders that will help the WMCA achieve its objectives and develop a strategy for engaging those stakeholders
- Manage stakeholder mapping and prepare appropriate communications plans
- Provide an events service in order to raise awareness, inform and promote the WMCA’s vision, policies and projects to key stakeholders
- Oversee the evaluation of events performance and stakeholder relations to support a culture of continuous improvement
- Develop protocols around the delivery of events that make the most of opportunities coming up and ensure the effective use of resources in the team
- Lead on corporate stakeholder management, ensuring we are inclusive and effective in our engagement with the public, local authorities and the business community
- Develop and deliver a high-profile programme of political engagement at party conferences and in Parliament
- Develop robust plans to understand and monitor relations with key stakeholders, levels of satisfaction and trends
- Develop and deliver an events and stakeholder strategy for the WMCA that maximises opportunities to engage and build relationships with key stakeholders
- Manage a comprehensive events service meeting the demands of regional, national and international public interest agendas such as public events and conferences
A confident team leader, you will be used to coordinating high-performing teams made up of people from a range of backgrounds, fostering a culture of collaboration and respect. Important will be the ability to advise and mentor team members to develop their thinking and help overcome barriers.
A dynamic, highly competent communications professional you will have experience leading and managing multiple, large-scale, high-profile communications projects and events simultaneously. You will be expert at managing complex stakeholder relationships and building engagement and support across a wide range of issues.
Comfortable operating in a fast-paced environment, you will have excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills. Effective at managing projects and people, you will also be results driven, keen to share ideas and able to inspire and influence those around you to produce their best in order to drive maximum impact.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us.
We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women. As a Disability Confident Employer, we have made a positive commitment to interviewing all applicants with a disability who meet the essential role criteria. We are committed to building a team of people with varied backgrounds and experiences as we recognise that this will only benefit us as an employer, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be, and welcome applications from young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Furthermore, wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance. We are very happy to discuss a flexible working pattern that suits your needs, so please do not let that be a barrier to applying. If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
About your application
The online Application Form you'll be asked to complete plays a key part in our recruitment and selection process. We use the information you provide to decide whether to invite you for an interview. It is important that you complete the Application Form as fully and accurately as possible. You will be asked to upload a Supporting Statement (not a CV) and this should include specific examples which demonstrate how you meet the essential criteria for the role for which you are applying.
If you would like to discuss alternative methods to the online application as a reasonable adjustment please contact the Resourcing Team by email (email@example.com).
Role Profile - Strategic Communications Manager - Stakeholder and Events.pdf