Head of Safety, Security and Emergency Planning
Are you looking for an opportunity to make a positive impact on the safety of millions of people? Are you committed to developing safer travel for those using the transport network across our region? Do you like working with people and leading teams during often challenging and demanding periods?
With billions of pounds worth of investment being put into the West Midlands transport system, and with projects being delivered across the region from key partners such as High Speed Two, National Highways, local authorities, Network Rail and Transport for West Midlands, keeping residents and businesses moving has never been more important.
Network Resilience, part of Transport for West Midlands, is a team of various transport specialisms, working closely with partners to develop a strategic response to minimise impact as well as an operational response to keep people moving. This includes developing mitigation strategies at a network level alongside travel demand management techniques that nudge resident, business and visitor behaviours to change the way they travel.
Keeping people safe on these networks is vitally important. As Head of Safety, Security and Emergency Planning your role will be to develop, manage and maintain effective partnerships with external agencies (statutory and otherwise), including Government departments’ elected officials, the WMCA local authority partners, National Highways, West Midlands Police, British Transport Police, Elected Members, Urban Transport Group, commercial transport and traffic operators and the voluntary sector on matters relating to security of public transport and emergency planning.
You will use your substantial experience to provide expert advice, guidance and input on all operational and strategic matters and on the development and implementation of projects relating to crime on the public transport network and emergency planning.
What will you be doing?
- Directing the development and delivery of the Safer Travel Partnership working pro-actively with new and existing partner agencies in activities which reduce crime and antisocial behaviour on public transport and make passengers feel safe
- Directing and developing the creation and review of existing safety and security and emergency planning strategies and their implementation in collaboration with key partners including West Midlands Police (Safer Travel Partnership) and the Local Resilience Forum
- Acting as the Senior Responsible Officer for the TfWM CCTV operations and emergency planning functions including the development and delivery of services for services under contract to 3rd parties
- Acting as the Senior Responsible Officer for the implementation, management and continual review of the Network Emergency Plan for TfWM, as well as acting as the Senior Single Point of Contact for other organisations with regards to Emergency and Events Planning
- Growing the commercial opportunity for the CCTV Control Room and maximising the data centre potential for the WMCA.
For more detail about the responsibilities of this position, please read the detailed job description attached.
As the Head of Safety, Security and Emergency Planning, you will have substantial, evidenced strategic experience in the security services or risk management field, or related areas such as Law enforcement. In addition, we're looking for the following:
- Experience of emergency planning and response in multi-agency partnerships, utilising the Civil Contingencies Act
- A proven commitment to continuous professional development in a related field
- Demonstrable technical knowledge of security surveillance systems
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with the ability to confidently persuade and inform key senior internal and external stakeholders
- Effective partnership building and stakeholder management skills
- Effective decision-making skills, utilising all available information to reach sound and evidence-based conclusions
- Experience of managing a team and significant budgets, with the ability to delegate tasks effectively
- Demonstrable experience of undertaking a leadership role within an organisation, or personally leading major projects successfully and delivering outcomes in a challenging and demanding environment
- Experience or knowledge of public sector environments
A Counter Terrorism Check will be a vetting requirement for any successful post-holder, and this will need to be achieved as a condition of employment.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us.
We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women. As a Disability Confident Employer, we have made a positive commitment to interviewing all applicants with a disability who meet the essential role criteria. We are committed to building a team of people with varied backgrounds and experiences as we recognise that this will only benefit us as an employer, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be, and welcome applications from young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Furthermore, wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance. We are very happy to discuss a flexible working pattern that suits your needs, so please do not let that be a barrier to applying. If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
About your application
The online Application Form you'll be asked to complete plays a key part in our recruitment and selection process. We use the information you provide to decide whether to invite you for an interview. It is important that you complete the Application Form as fully and accurately as possible. You will be asked to upload a Supporting Statement (not a CV) and this should include specific examples which demonstrate how you meet the essential criteria for the role for which you are applying.
If you would like to discuss alternative methods to the online application as a reasonable adjustment please contact the Resourcing Team by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B91 3SD. Hybrid working conditions are currently in place which means working remotely and coming to the office when required.
2021-12-21 Head of SSEP RP - Dec 2021 - Final.docx