Housing Solutions Officer
Worcester is a great place to work. We have a thriving city centre, a great wealth of history and a fantastic environment, making it somewhere to be proud of.
Everyone associated with Worcester City Council is proud of Worcester’s offer of a high quality of life, varied heritage, award winning parks and our contribution to the development of modern local government.
It is a fantastic place to work and you will find us to be an organisation that is challenging yet caring; with our leadership adventurous in its pursuit of excellence.
At Worcester City Council, we have a work-family culture and we are proud to support and value the combination of employees’ work and family lives.
We have a clear vision to achieve excellence in everything we do and to achieve excellence in everyone we employ, meaning we are looking for an excellent candidate to come and join our work family!
You will be working in a busy frontline housing service and no two days will be the same. You will work with a variety of customers and other agencies to prevent homelessness and undertake homelessness investigations which gives you the opportunity to make a real difference to people’s lives. You will act as the Council's first point of contact for homelessness and housing advice and will need to be confident in providing professional information and advice face to face, on the telephone and in writing.
The key requirements for the role are;
- Knowledge of the Housing Act Part VII (Homelessness) as amended, the code of guidance and other legislation relating to homelessness and tenant/landlord relationships
- Knowledge of the Homelessness Reduction Act
- Knowledge and understanding of choice-based lettings
- Knowledge of temporary accommodation duties and arrangements
- Knowledge and understanding of the eligibility of persons from abroad
- Knowledge of different tools which can be used to prevent homelessness
- Knowledge of housing benefit and other welfare benefits
- Experience of investigating homelessness and making decisions in accordance with homelessness legislation
- Experience of carrying out structured interviews with a wide range of clients.
- Experience of working with vulnerable client groups.
- Experience of keeping accurate records.
The successful candidate will have the below skills and experience.
- Strong team player
- Excellent IT skills
- Ability to work on own initiative without close supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to explain complex information simply
- Ability to make and communicate difficult decisions
- Ability to make decisions on own initiative where necessary
- Excellent organisational, administrative, prioritisation and time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a friendly, non-judgemental, approachable, sensitive and customer-oriented approach
- Ability to undertake home visits and attend meetings across the city and occasionally the county
If you would like an informal discussion about the role please contact Emma Jordan, Housing and Welfare Options Team Manager, on 01905 721121 or email@example.com
Closing date: 23rd January 2022
Interview Date: 31st January 2022