The HR Service provides support to approx. 4,300 employees located throughout Coventry which serves a diverse population of approx. 300,000.
At the centre of all we do is The People Plan, which details the contribution HR makes to the residents of Coventry, making it a great place to live and work.
As a service we offer value-add, creative relevant and timely advice and support to meet the service and people needs. Strong and positive engagement is a central element in helping to foster, productive relationships with leaders, managers, employees, TU officials, external partners and suppliers in providing an excellent and rated service.Our Values
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
What is the job role?
This is a new role in a new service, so it’s a real chance to make an impact on council services. You will need to use your knowledge of employment law and HR best practice to deliver a first-response service to managers and employees, ensuring clear and accurate HR advice. You will be confident working on your own initiative, but also recognise when to escalate matters to others in the team.
The successful candidate will support HR Officers and HR Business Partners with a wide remit of generalist duties including HR casework, employee relations, organisational change, information management and more. You will build positive working relationships with managers across the organisation, providing advice and support on the application of the Council’s HR policies, procedures, terms and conditions, and support the organisation to proactively embed a One Coventry culture.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Working with managers to provide clear, accurate advice and guidance on HR policy, procedure and Terms & Conditions, in a timely manner.
- Supporting HR casework and Trade Union meetings, under the direction of an HR Officer / HR Business Partner.
- Assisting the Employee Relations Lead and HR Business Partner on transformational / organisational change plans, e.g., redundancy, changes to Terms & Conditions, service excellence.
- Producing HR reports, which are reviewed during service meetings and as part of employee absence management.
- Supporting the development of new People policies, standardised HR letters and relevant project work, under the supervision of the relevant HR Business Partner.
- Assisting in the delivery of employee relations workshops.
- Maintaining appropriate records and systems to ensure appropriate availability of information, in line with relevant data protection legislation.
- Championing the Council’s values and associated behaviours.
- Taking ownership for your own continuing professional development, ensuring up-to-date HR knowledge.
Who are we looking for?
The successfully appointed colleague should be able to demonstrate:
- A track record of successfully applying relevant employment law knowledge and HR best practice to support managers.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, and the ability to present key HR information clearly and concisely.
- A proactive, can-do attitude with demonstrable experience of engaging stakeholders, such as hiring managers, candidates and service-providers.
- Experience of accurate data-inputting, letter-writing and report-writing.
- CIPD Level 3 qualified, or a willingness to work towards this.
We look forward to you bringing your skills, experience and strong work ethic to support our culture transformation at Coventry City Council.
If you are up for the challenge, please apply now and be sure to demonstrate in your personal statement how you match our key objectives outlined in the job description and person specification.
Please note that we do not accept personal CVs.
If you would like an informal discussion about the post, please contact Kate Eales on Kate.Eales@coventry.gov.uk
Interview date: 1 February 2021.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks