West Midlands Stations Alliance Manager
The West Midlands Stations Alliance (WMSA) is an innovative body that exists to address the issues of:
- lack of co-ordination between the various parties responsible for station assets
- insufficient incentives to invest in significant station enhancements
The WMSA approach works within the rail industry’s existing station ownership and contractual structures with partners working together to identify and secure funding to enable an agreed programme of station enhancements to be developed and delivered. You will be responsible for managing the WMSA, building strong relationships between the partners, keeping the programme on track, and developing funding streams to support project delivery.
What will you be doing?
- Oversee and facilitate the effective administration of all levels of WMSA governance, including supporting the WMSA Board meetings, and chairing WMSA Steering Group
- Maintain the WMSA programme and risk register, ensuring that others achieve tasks for which they are accountable
- Lead the development and approval of an WMSA Business Plan, reviewed annually, that sets out a clear strategic plan for delivering the purpose and objectives of the WMSA
- Forge strong, effective relationships with WMRE Partner Authorities, Train Operating Companies (TOCs), Community Rail Partnerships, Rail User Groups, local community organisations and other organisations with the explicit intent of delivering the WMSA vision
- Manage the programme of activities, ensuring the delivery of projects to time and budget
- Lead commercial negotiations with consultants and contractors
- Proactively seek out and realise revenue streams and sources of capital funding to allow the development and delivery of WMSA projects
- Work closely with TOCs and Network Rail to ensure opportunities for collaborative efficiencies are maximised
- Oversee the continued development of the WMSA Business Plan, and measures of success
- Provide regular reporting as required to each WMSA partner
- Educated to degree level or with demonstrable equivalent level of experience relevant to managing public services in a political environment
- Experience of managing resources appropriately, ensuring that the quality of service is upheld and that appropriate programme and project management, risk management and financial resource management skills are delivered effectively
- Experience of analysing and evaluating pros and cons and identify risks in order to make decisions that take account of the wider context
- Excellent communication skills
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us.
We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women. As a Disability Confident Employer, we have made a positive commitment to interviewing all applicants with a disability who meet the essential role criteria. We are committed to building a team of people with varied backgrounds and experiences as we recognise that this will only benefit us as an employer, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be, and welcome applications from young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Furthermore, wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance. We are very happy to discuss a flexible working pattern that suits your needs, so please do not let that be a barrier to applying. If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
About your application
The online Application Form you'll be asked to complete plays a key part in our recruitment and selection process. We use the information you provide to decide whether to invite you for an interview. It is important that you complete the Application Form as fully and accurately as possible. You will be asked to upload a Supporting Statement (not a CV) and this should include specific examples which demonstrate how you meet the essential criteria for the role for which you are applying.
If you would like to discuss alternative methods to the online application as a reasonable adjustment please contact the Resourcing Team by email (email@example.com).
16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B91 3SD. Hybrid working conditions are currently in place which means working remotely and coming to the office when required.
Role Profile - WMSA Manager.docx