Family Connect Social Worker
Family Connect Safeguarding Advisor Team
Full-time, 37 hours per week.
Telford & Wrekin Council has put Children and families at the heart of it’s' vision for the future. In reshaping our services, we have established Family Connect, a new multiagency partnership approach to safeguarding children and young people. Family Connect operates a single point of contact for services accessed by the public and professionals to ensure that the right service is delivered at the right time, in the right place by the right people.
Family Connect Safeguarding Advisor Team
The safeguarding social workers within Family Connect provide professional, effective and positive responses to all requests for service concerning children in need and children at risk of significant harm. The work is challenging, and involves undertaking a range of enquiries by way of telephone calls, electronic correspondence and face to face contacts. You will be required to critically analyse and reflect on your finding to ensure an appropriate decision is made and proportionate support is provided where necessary. An electronic case management system is used, the work is fast paced and is predominately office based.
To join us you will need:
• Relevant Qualification in Social Work.
• 3 years post qualified experience
• A good ability to communicate, with children and families.
• Excellent recording skills
• A real commitment to partnership working – with families, colleagues and other agencies.
• A good understanding of the principles of effective early intervention and prevention strategies/services.
• A thorough understanding of child protection work, including the legal framework and experience of investigation processes.
• Sound analytical, assessment, risk management and case planning skills.
• A flexible ‘can do’ attitude, with a good ability to manage your work.
• A commitment to ongoing learning and evidence based practice.
• To undertake a range of assessments of children and young people in need, or in need of protection, and their families, by way of telephone calls, correspondence (including electronic) and direct face to face contacts, critically analysing all necessary information and responding appropriately to the needs of specific children and young people and any current or emerging safeguarding issues.
• To undertake duty functions to agreed criteria and within available resources.
• To assist in the collation of information which forms the basis for the completion of an assessment or s.47 Investigation of a child and to develop information systems that ensure their effective transfer to the relevant officer/team.
• To make recommendations to the Safeguarding Team Manager in relation to referrals that are allocated to them, based on the collated information as to possible options for an individual child, young person and their family.
• To make a professional judgements as to whether a contact should progress to a referral, or where appropriate to identify alternative outcomes , and record this outcome on the ICS Information System.
• To follow child protection procedures and other related child care guidance in order to meet statutory and other responsibilities in relation to children, young people and their family.
• To liaise with internal and external professionals and agencies, and undertake diagnostic consultations with those agencies, in order to co-ordinate various service provisions and arrange specific types of assistance for the child, young person and their family.
• To sign post service users to appropriate service provision and assistance offered by other service providers, when the threshold for a child protection service is not required.
• To complete a Child Protection Strategy Discussion with the Police in the absence of the Team Manager
• To maintain excellent electronic records in accordance with the Council’s Policies and Procedures.
• To effectively assess and manage risk.
• To promote standards which achieve equality of opportunity
• To ensure personal adherence to all relevant Policies & Procedures.
• To accurately record and keep up-to-date information using the appropriate IT and Information systems in accordance with the Council’s policy and Procedures.
There is no car user allowance and the job is predominately office based working by phone and email.Supporting documents
Job Description and Person Spec