The Employment & Skills Service is part of Coventry City Council. We work with a range of delivery partners to provide a wide portfolio of top quality support to Coventry residents of all ages who are looking for work. We work with partners across the city and our Employer Hub actively works with local employers to generate opportunities for local people.
Our friendly and welcoming Job Shop is situated in Coventry City Centre. We are here to support all Coventry residents to search for employment, training, apprenticeships and work placements. People can explore a wide range of local vacancies that are updated daily and access training opportunities.
We also provide ground-breaking specialist support for local residents who face multiple and sometimes complex barriers that make it hard for them to find a job. The Job Shop and our exciting range of specialist employment support programmes are among the very best support available in the UKOur Values
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
What is the job role?
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Employment and Skills Service and be part of our new provision, Find Your Future, an ESF funded programme. This initiative, led by West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA), has been set up to provide Economically Inactive and Unemployed residents of Warwickshire & Coventry a high-quality and personalised service to ensure they receive full support, enabling them to move closer to and into good quality employment.
As an Employment Coach, you will deliver a first class service by working in various outreach venues across Warwickshire & Coventry. You will have passion to help others by effective employment coaching and supporting people into work.
The role involves:
- Working with customers on a 1:1 basis to support each individual into employment or further education
- Successfully liaise with our Employer Hub team to maintain and create employment routes for customers
- Maintaining accurate records to meet ESF requirements, preparing claim documents, checking evidence and supporting management to ensure that ESF targets are monitored and achieved
- You will carry out focused assessments and create a clear plan of action which will enable the individual to move closer to and into education/training or good quality and sustainable employment
- Completing Action Plans and customer Registrations following guidelines and set procedure as per programme and ESF compliance requirements
- Accessing suitable resources, partners and support agencies, as individuals can face barriers in reaching their career aspirations or employment
You will need to be excellent at developing positive working relationships, an effective communicator, able to work with a wide range of people from different backgrounds including BAME, disability and mental health and crucially have the skills and ability to listen, understand and identify how you can support each customer in a positive manner.
The following are a must:
- Able and prepared to work across various sites in Warwickshire and Coventry and have means of transport to commute as and when required on any given day
- Be able to demonstrate previous experience or a willingness to work with all customers including vulnerable young adults or adults with disabilities
- Have an understanding of how to work with adults who have learning difficulties and an enthusiasm for supporting customers through their journey into further education or employment
- Have an understanding of how to successfully liaise with key partners to ensure all customers have the opportunity of employment
- Have experience of or the ability to work within a customer facing role
- Show an understanding of how to support customers who are facing barriers to learning, education and employment
- Be able to manage a caseload of customers within a fast-paced environment
- Be flexible and adaptable to meet the needs of the service
- Be willing to learn and understand how the service works and follow lead from the manager
- Be IT compliant and confident with emails, MS Teams, Excel
- Be passionate about supporting individuals into work, be adaptable and hold excellent people skills
- Be organised and disciplined when working autonomously or when teamwork is required
- Able to work towards deadlines and targets
If you are dynamic, creative, able to use your initiative and believe that you have the drive and skills to be able to make a real difference to the residents of Warwickshire & Coventry, then we want to hear from you.
The post is 37 hour per week fixed term contract ending 31st December 2023.
You will be employed by Coventry City Council as an Employment Coach and will be working on one of the Find Your Future Programme which is part-funded by the European Social Fund.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date(s): TBAIntroduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and it was the UK City of Culture 2021. We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons as you can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Opportunity for Salary Match and Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
- Lifestyle savings
- Salary Sacrifice Schemes; Car Scheme, Cycle to work and more
- Interest free travel loans
- Payroll giving scheme
- Workplace parking scheme
- Maternity, paternity and adoption Leave
- And much more