Principal Planning Officer (Policy)
To assist the Borough Council in carrying out its statutory function as a Local Planning Authority, supporting the management of the planning service in such a way as to provide a quality customer focused planning service that contributes towards the Borough Council’s corporate aims and objectives.
- Ensure the efficient, effective and timely preparation and review of local and strategic planning policy documents including the council’s statutory Local Plan, Neighbourhood Development Plans or Orders and other related statutory documents.
- To consider, report on and, when required, represent the council’s interests in planning policy matters at national and local level and in particular liaise with adjoining authorities in relation to the duty to co-operate and comment on other local authority consultations.
- Responsible for the day to day management of officers within the Planning Policy Team including conducting annual appraisals and one to ones, dealing with underperformance, recruitment and mentoring in order to maximise the effective and efficient working of the team.
- To lead on the preparation, management and maintenance of local plan evidence studies including the procurement of expert advice where appropriate.
- Carry out all relevant consultation and engagement on planning matters with internal and external stakeholders, including elected members, consultees, representatives of other local authorities, parish councils and the borough’s communities.
- Produce written statements and give evidence, on behalf of the council, at planning appeals/examinations (including hearings and public inquiries) in relation to planning policy matters.
- To provide professional advice and appropriate engagement with the local community and other stakeholders, including colleagues and elected members, council officers, developers and their agents.
- Prepare and present reports and other relevant information to elected members and senior management in accordance with the council’s constitution, including at directors briefing, Senior Leadership Team, Full Council, Executive, Scrutiny and Planning Policy Member Working Group.
- Ensure the regular review of methods of operation and processes to ensure they are fit for purpose and cost effective.
- Provide a high quality responsive service in response to planning policy matters and enquiries.
- Provide support to the Planning Manager (Policy) in performing the functions of the planning service and deputise as required at strategic planning meetings, developer forums, member briefings and other relevant meetings.
- To ensure the effective operation within the team of corporate personnel policies and practices, particularly in relation to the officers' code of conduct, financial and contract rules and procedures, appraisal, development, data quality, absence management, health and safety, discipline, grievance and equalities.
- To undertake such duties as are appropriate to your grade and hours of work as may reasonably be required of you by your line manager.