Post Title: Facilities Manager
Salary:Grade 4/5 - SP 30 to SP 39 (£27,650 to £35,604) Dependant on Experience
To ensure the maintenance of the Academy’s estate including, buildings, facilities and transport asset. These are all to be maintained and developed to a very high and consistent standard to satisfy the Academy’s requirements and those of all regulatory and statutory bodies. You will have responsibility for managing your team and associated contractor’s in-line with statute, appropriate guidance, and best practice and within budget.
The Facilities Manager will be responsible for the day to day, Health and Safety, cleaning and maintenance of the site. To provide an appropriate safe and secure environment for the education of students and the safe, comfortable and effective work of all the staff, members of the school Stakeholders, contractors and other visitors. The Facilities Manager will be responsible for prioritising his/her daily work, managing his/her time effectively and be accountable for decisions taken within delegated authority. The Facilities Manager will also be responsible for the Health and Safety of the building and all relevant training needs.
Reporting to: Business Manager
Responsible for: Facilities Staff
Liaising with: Senior Leadership Team, Middle Leaders, and relevant staff with cross-Academy responsibilities, relevant non-teaching support staff, parents, BMET staff, Residents and other stakeholders
Working Time: 36.5 hours per week (with some flexible out of hours working)
Working Pattern: Full time – All year round (52 weeks)
Disclosure level: Enhanced
Whilst not an exhaustive list, the main duties of the post are:
- Implement policies and procedures relating to the operation of the Facilities Team and bearing full responsibility for the maintenance of the facilities within your domain.
2. Manage the Estate ensuring all grounds, buildings, fixtures and fittings are appropriately maintained in accordance with the agreed priorities and undertake minor repairs, improvements, decoration of the school site, within the range of own individual skills and capacity, including during the school holidays.
3. To ensure the building has been checked for vandalism and break-ins when opened at the commencement of the morning shift
- Ensure the security of the property is properly maintained, that users have access at appropriate times and that an appropriate response is made in the event of a property related incident.
- Locking and unlocking of the building on a rota basis
- Providing emergency access in the event of snow, minor flooding or any other similar emergency situation.
- Manage localised budget setting and financial expenditure in accordance with Academy requirements and agreed budgets.
- Ensure all compliance checks are completed alongside DfE guidance and all mandatory checks are carried out by the facilities team.
- Supervise / monitor cleaning staff to ensure that the Academy is cleaned to a high standard
- Manage the Facilities Team(2 full time assistants), including:
- Be responsible for the day-to-day management of the facilities team ensuring the smooth and efficient delivery of Estates services across the Academy.
- Manage the effective deployment of the staff within the facilities team, ensuring that all services are covered at all times.
- Co-ordinate the work of your staff, matching rotas to demands in workload, anticipating both authorised and unauthorised absence.
- Participate in the staff recruitment process.
- Carry out professional development and performance reviews
- Provide leadership, support and guidance to the staff in your team, ensuring good systems are in place and best practice is followed.
- Take responsibility for the training and development of your team.
- Be responsible for the development of systems and practices within the facilities team to create a modern, smarter working environment and an efficient, effective, high quality service
- Manage the Building Management (BMS) systems and Computer Aided Facilities Management (CAFM) operational systems which pertain to your position, including setting parameters and report production.
- Manage the Academy’s Facilities Contracts within your domain, e.g. cleaning and catering, service and maintenance etc. and ensure that their delivery is in-line with the contracts in place and the expectations of the Academy.
- Assist the development and implementation of the Academy’s minor works and capital estate development programmes, including the procurement and implementation of sub-contracts with external specialist companies.
Ensure Service Level Agreements are monitored, evaluated and audited against agreed quality standards.
Responsible for health and safety, risk management measures as and when necessary, including:
- Ensure that safe working practices within the Academy are adhered to and effective control of contractors is maintained at all times.
- Ensure that the Academy operates within a secure and legal environment at all times, working within the requirements of statute, codes of practice and best guidance.
- Ensure all staff adhere to the Academy’s health and safety policy and procedures Manage day-to-day health and safety All staff training is carried out in health and safety
- Promote risk management within the Academy / Write new risk assessments.
- Monitor risk assessments that are in place and ensure there is a mechanism in place to check all Risk Assessments are reviewed on a regular basis.
- To monitor and implement all elements of the Health and Safety Policy in accordance with premises requirements and any legislative/Ofsted guidance
- Ensure that record keeping is rigorous and robust and in accordance with legislative guidance in the area of Health and Safety. Ensure the safety of the site and the people on it at all times
- Ensure that the Academy is secured after use, both internally and externally.
- To ensure reporting procedures to the HSE are in accordance with any LA guidance.
- Monitor and ensure safe working practices from any contractors, having particular regard to correct working practices and monitor and ensure the quality of the work being done, alerting the Business Manager or senior staff as appropriate when a problem occurs.
- To make sure that all visitors and new members of staff are given a proper induction into the Academy’s fire and safety procedures.