3 days left
The Streetpride Service is Coventry City Councils Street Cleansing and Grounds Maintenance Service. It has a responsibility and statutory duty to keep the City Clean, Green and attractive for all.
Keeping the City clean and green is a huge challenge and not one we can do on our own. The service is delivered by a flexible locally committed workforce who work well with the different residents, communities and partners ensuring a One Coventry approach by enabling people to do more for themselves.
The service operates out of 2 strategically based sites in the North and the South of the City and provides a cleansing service 7 days per week for 52 weeks of the year.
We currently clean 10’000 miles or road network each year and empty over 3’000 street litter bins each week.
The service is also responsible for delivering the Grounds Maintenance works across all our Parks and Open Spaces including our 5 Green Flag Parks and cuts approximately 6 million square metres of grass every 20 working days. That is the equivalent of cutting one thousand football pitches.Our Values
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
What is the job role?
As a Streetpride Operative, you will be working as part of a team, you will support the maintenance and improvement of streets, neighbourhoods, parks, and open spaces by undertaking a range of street cleansing and grounds maintenance activities and ensure all work is carried out in accordance with the appropriate Safe Systems of Work.
These are key roles within our Streetpride Service and the successful candidates will provide support to the community and public to improve the way our City looks and feels by working with team members and partners to create a greater feeling of security and confidence among residents, and to assist in maintaining a clean and safer community and signpost accordingly.
The duties of these roles will involve:
- sweeping streets, emptying bins
- litter picking grassed areas
- removal of dead animals and undesirable waste e.g. dog fouling
- maintaining the grounds of highway verges and parks and public open spaces
- driving vehicles and using power tools such as strimmers and hedge cutters, and other various grass cutting machines.
The successful candidate will:
- be reliable and committed
- have a professional attitude and willing to take on the tasks and duties within the remit of the role and service area
- be physically fit and able to walk for long periods of time and work in all weather
- able to undertake a range of various labouring tasks involving bending, pulling, and lifting.
- customer-focused and able to remain a respectful, calm, and polite in environments where they may experience challenging behaviours or situations when assisting the general public and customers by responding to minor queries and complaints
- confident to take appropriate action to avoid formal complaints.
In addition, you should have:
- Knowledge of Health and safety in the workplace (incl. PPE)
- Basic Knowledge of horticultural operations
- Ability to operate basic hand and power tools
- Able to work flexibly across any shift if necessary
- A minimum of a Category B manual driving licence
These roles are 37 hours a week shifts 8 am until 4 pm, although flexibility will be required with suitable notice to cover certain works across the Streetpride service. The shift pattern requires you to work 1 in every 4 weekends which attracts a weekend pay increment (you will have 2 days off in the week).
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date: 20th July 2022Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and it was the UK City of Culture 2021. We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons as you can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Opportunity for Salary Match and Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
- Lifestyle savings
- Salary Sacrifice Schemes; Car Scheme, Cycle to work and more
- Interest free travel loans
- Payroll giving scheme
- Workplace parking scheme
- Maternity, paternity and adoption Leave
- And much more