Lead Accountant – Major Projects
Join Rugby Borough Council as our Lead Accountant – Major Projects on a fixed term (maternity cover) basis until August 2023. You’ll support us with the delivery of a number of major capital schemes which will transform both the organisation and the borough.
In this role, others will come to you for direction on everything from technical accountancy support to financial strategies and policies to standards and practices. Your advice will help us to make timely, well-informed decisions.
Here at Rugby Borough Council, we’re growing. In fact, we’re proud to be one of the fastest growing towns in the country, with some exciting commercial developments. This has all been made possible thanks to our strong financial position. We have a strong, collaborative and supportive culture that enables everyone to grow and develop. Ensuring employees have a positive work life balance is really important to us. We have an agile working policy, which enables our people to work flexibly either at home and/or in the main Town Hall.
About the role
As our Lead Accountant – Major Projects your responsibilities will include:
- Providing a proactive financial advisory service and act as the Council’s expert on all financial matters relating to major projects within the HRA and General Fund
- Undertaking financial appraisals to advise on strategic investment and disposal options, in accordance with the Council’s relevant strategies
- Supporting the preparation, analysis and delivery of business cases for new activities, investment decisions and decommissioning activities - ensuring that appropriate financial targets are set and that systems are in place to collect sufficient, accurate data on performance
- Recommending and supporting moves into new income generating areas and advising on the most efficient company structures and other related financial matters
- Undertaking financial analysis and options appraisals of investment decisions, transformation programmes and other corporate initiatives and make recommendations to Elected Members and Senior Management Team
- Co-ordinating and reporting on all budget monitoring for the major projects programme, ensuring all information is meaningful and relevant to the intended audience.
The ideal candidate for the role of Lead Accountant – Major Projects will be able to demonstrate the following skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Be a fully qualified member, or working towards a qualification to be a member, of one of the accountancy institutes in CCAB (preferably CIPFA)
- Experience in a professional finance environment, preferably public sector
- Full understanding of up-to-date Local Government finance policies and legislation
- Developing and maintaining good working relationships with colleagues and external contacts
- Be experienced in developing financial systems and processes
- Producing high quality and accurate financial reports for management information
- Be an effective communicator
- Experience of supporting significant capital and revenue projects
- Experience of commercial activity
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone to continue their career in a supportive and collaborative environment.
If you are positive, driven and are interested in delivering and embedding change, then we want to hear from you.
For more information on Rugby Borough Council & our Financial Services team please visit https://rightforrugby.org.uk/
For an informal discussion about this role, please call Jon Illingworth, Chief Officer for Finance and Performance, on 01788 533410.
Please ensure you refer to the person specification when completing your application and demonstrate how you meet the essential criteria for the role within your cover letter and CV.
JD Lead Accountant Major Projects.pdf