Head of People Operations
Role title: Head of People Operations
Location: Stafford with flexibility (Hybrid working)
Salary: £61,826 - £66,463 per annum
Contract type: Permanent
Who you’ll be working for:
At Staffordshire County Council, we live and breathe our values, being ambitious, empowering and courageous. We are seeking a dynamic new Head of People Operations to join the People Services function and you will need to be:
- Ambitious for People Services, the wider organisation and our communities
- Empowering and inclusive playing to individuals’ strengths
- Courageous in your approach, ready to question and make a difference
If you’re looking for a challenging role with the opportunity to make a positive impact and lead a fabulous team, then this is for you.
What you’ll do:
People Services is at the fore of the transformation of the County Council; leading a new approach to the People agenda through its ambitious People Strategy.
- Provide leadership and direction
The Head of People Operations is a critical role that forms part of the People Services Leadership Team and the Council’s Operational Management Team. You will provide leadership and direction within People Services to ensure alignment, clarity and customer focussed service delivery to our customers.
Leading a high performing People Operations team providing expert advice, guidance, challenge and support to managers on all employee relations issues and change management activity, you will ensure excellent customer service delivering innovative and effective business solutions.
- Be responsible for ER, consultation, and change
Reporting to the Assistant Director for People and working with a capable People Operations team you will be responsible for the development, leadership, promotion and delivery of the Council’s Employee Relations Strategy and Consultation and Change framework ensuring that they drive organisation success.
- Make positive change across the organisation
The People Services team deliver all kinds of people-related advice, programmes, and projects across the Council. To help us achieve that, you will work with managers and colleagues on employee relations issues, change management (including TUPE) and organisational development activities.
You will promote excellent employee relations, developing forward thinking policies, convening and sharing the Trade Union forums and developing and leading a proactive, customer focused and commercial case management service ensuring timely an appropriate case management with a focus on early resolution.
That’s why you’ll embody our values in everything you do across the organisation. You’ll be a role model and encourage those around you to collaborate, learn and grow.
What you’ll need
To apply for this role, you’ll need:
- FCIPD or an equivalent degree level qualification
- Excellent knowledge of current employment legislation, case law and good HR practice
- Substantial high-level relevant professional background and experience in a large complex organisation and proven credibility in the field.
- Experience of creating and leading a high performing Operational People function, including Advice & Guidance, ER and Change, gained within a complex, unionised environment.
- Proven experience of leading collective bargaining and trade union negotiations and consultations in respect of People related change including restructures, TUPE, policies, terms and conditions of employment
- Experience of providing advice on organisational transformation/change on service delivery models and organisation design.
How we'll support you
As well as providing you with inspiring leadership and an environment where you can take pride in what you do, you’ll also benefit from:
- An excellent local government pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement from 24 up to 33 days (plus 2 extra statutory days and bank holidays) depending on job role and length of service
- The option to buy up to an additional 2 weeks’ annual leave
- A range of flexible working options including agile working, flexible retirement, and great Family Friendly Policies
- Volunteering Scheme Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring
- Access to health and wellbeing support (including Occupational Health, Physiotherapy and Counselling Services)
- Eye care vouchers
- Access to our employee benefits platform including bus and rail travel discounts, electric vehicle lease scheme / cycle & car loan scheme etc
Closing date for applications: 4pm Thursday 07 July 2022
Interview dates – First stage: 14 or 15 July 2022
Interviews will be conducted via MS Teams and we’ll fully explain each stage as you progress to ensure you understand how you are being assessed and how you can prepare.
Additional requirements /adjustments?
Should you need any adjustments to the recruitment process or feel you need to find out more about this role to be able to apply please do get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll respond to you as soon as possible.
How do I apply?
To apply for this role just click on the ‘Apply’ button.
By clicking on the apply button you will be redirected to Staffordshire County Councils online application website.
If you experience any technical issues accessing or completing the application form please contact email@example.com