4 days left
£42,035 - £45,073 (includes a market supplement)
Join Rugby Borough Council as our Lead Accountant and champion excellent management of financial resources, promoting efficiency, high performance, probity, and outstanding value for money services.
In this role you’ll play a key role in the delivery of service transformation, driving efficiency and productivity improvements and the optimisation of income opportunities. You’ll ensure that Elected Members and officers are provided high-quality advice on financial strategies, policies, standards, and practices, enabling timely, considered, and well-informed decisions to be made. You may have substantial experience as an accountant, or have only been qualified a few years, either way we will support you to be successful in this role.
Here at Rugby Borough Council, we’re growing. In fact, we’re proud to be one of the fastest growing towns in the country, with some exciting commercial developments. This has all been made possible thanks to our strong financial position. We have a strong, collaborative, and supportive culture that enables everyone to grow and develop. Ensuring employees have a positive work life balance is important to us. We have an agile working policy, which enables our people to work flexibly either at home and/or in the main Town Hall.
About the role
As our Lead Accountant you will share the responsibility (with a fellow Lead Accountant) for:
- The annual budget setting process for the General Fund and Housing Revenue Account ensuring that the Council’s strategic objectives for financial matters are met in the medium term, in conjunction with the Technical and Finance Manager
- The production of financial strategies
- Act as the Council’s expert on financial matters related to your area of work
- Manage and co-ordinate the Council’s revenue and capital budget monitoring, including the preparation of reports for the Leadership Team and Committees
- Provide a proactive internal financial advisory service to the Council across a range of major corporate initiatives, projects, and schemes
- The Council’s Treasury Management activities and Council Strategy
- All VAT implications in respect of payments made and income received
- The development of financial reporting and monitoring for Budget Managers
- Co-ordinate the Council’s capital budgets and programme, including financing and all associated balance sheet and asset management transactions
- Play a significant and leading role in the closure of the Council’s annual accounts and production of Statement of Accounts, for the General Fund, the HRA and collection fund, plus the Whole of Government Accounts
The ideal candidate for the role of Lead Accountant will be able to demonstrate the following skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Post qualification experience in a professional finance environment, preferably public sector
- Be a fully qualified member of one of the accountancy institutes in CCAB
- Full understanding of up-to-date Local Government finance policies and legislation
- Developing and maintaining good working relationships with colleagues and external contacts
- Be an effective communicator
- Producing high quality and accurate financial reports for management information
- Have experience of successfully managing a team
- Be able to deliver finance training
- Be experienced in developing financial systems and processes
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone to continue their career in a supportive and collaborative environment.
For an informal discussion about this role, please call Jon Illingworth, Chief Officer for Finance and Performance on 01788 533410
You can view full details of this job via our website www.rugby.gov.uk . If you are interested in applying for this role, please submit your CV and supporting statement to email@example.com
Applicants are advised to apply early as if a large number of applications are received for this post we reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the advertised date.
Closing Date: 19 August 2022