Head of Insight, Policy & Strategy
Head of Insight, Policy & Strategy
Salary £58,708 - £76,198
If you needed a different perspective, where would you go?
Birmingham is a city that takes it further. It’s the home of individuals and communities who lead the way. Who don’t compromise on who they are or what they stand for. Join our brand-new Insight, Policy & Strategy team. Help us put our city’s vibrant communities front and centre, as we shape an ambitious future together.
About the Insight, Policy & Strategy Team
Ours is a highly skilled team of economists, social researchers, data scientists, policy analysts and project management professionals. Together we’ll enable the Council’s capacity for strategic planning. Leading the development of insight, policy and strategic thinking we’ll make sure problem-solving programmes and projects involve the right partners, as well the resources needed. Working closely with partners across the Council and beyond, we’ll draw them into joint projects and support the insight, policy and strategy work being led by other teams.
About the role
Providing strong professional leadership across the Insight, Policy & Strategy Service, your remit will include opportunities to establish the Council’s direction and strategic objectives through the design and publication of the Council Plan. Developing and delivering complex programmes of work on a wide range of issues, this role gives you an opportunity to work across directorates to drive council-wide innovation and change. You can make a significant contribution to the continual improvement of the services we offer our citizens.
A key member of the Insight, Partnerships & Strategy management team your focus will be on leading the delivery of a range of innovative insight and analytical products that articulate a clear, evidence-based understanding of our city.
To be successful in this role it’s likely that you’ll bring:
- A degree-level qualification undertaking research and insight methods or policy analysis and development with a quantitative component
- Experience of leading complex programmes of work, while thinking and acting strategically
- Significant experience of using data, insight and analytics to tell an influential story
- Successes in people, performance and budget management, with a strong understanding of forward planning and the ability to horizon scan (5 – 8 years ahead)
- Skills to succeed in a political environment, with an understanding of the challenges facing Local Government and its partners in the future provision of services
What we offer in return
We’re committed to creating an environment that promotes diversity and inclusivity, healthy lifestyle choices, wellbeing and balance. We’ll empower you to be the best you can be, with coaching, mentoring and training programmes that meet your professional and personal development needs at every stage of your career with us.
We’re also proud to offer:
- Family friendly policies.
- A range of benefits, including membership of the West Midlands Pension Fund, discounted gym membership and a confidential employee assistance programme.
- 29 days’ annual leave increasing with length of service, plus the option to purchase additional days.
Birmingham is a city on the move. Be part of it.
Please see our microsite for further information and how to apply - www.cityonthemove-ips.co.uk
You must upload a CV and Supporting Statement via the miscellaneous attachment on to your application. This is required for shortlisting; you need to describe how your experience and skills fit the essential criteria for the role as specified in the Person Specification. If you do not attach your Supporting Statement, your application will not be considered.
All roles will close at midday on Monday 8th August, and we will be shortlisting on a rolling basis, because we know how important it is to keep you informed on the progress of your application. Don’t be surprised if you hear back from us prior to the closing date to let you know you’ve been shortlisted.
- Head of Service interviews will be conducted face-to-face in Birmingham wc. 29th August.
For informal enquires please contact Lysanne Eddy via email at Lysanne.Eddy@birmingham.gov.uk
Proof of Right to work in the UK will be required for all applicants in accordance with UK Home Office requirements, before any employment offer can be confirmed. Non-UK applicants (excluding Ireland) may need to apply for a visa from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and may require a Certificate of Sponsorship from Birmingham City Council for a skilled worker visa (if the job is eligible).Job Description and Person Specification