Head of Public Participation
Head of Public Participation
Salary £58,708 - £76,198
If you could help communities thrive and grow, how would you do it?
Birmingham is a place where people come together. It’s a city where innovation and empathy meet. Where bold becomes bolder. And people put each other first. Join our brand-new Public Participation Team. Help us make sure our diverse and vibrant communities have the strongest voice the future of their city.
About the Public Participation Team
Leading public involvement and developing engagement activity, we’ll ensure the Council can make the best possible use of the insight and feedback we gather from Birmingham’s communities. We’ll grow a deeper understanding of public attitudes, experiences, and concerns, to help the Council inform, shape and improve its services. Bringing together expertise in social and attitudinal research as well as public involvement techniques and approaches, we’ll guide and support other directorates in their engagement activity. And we’ll set new standards for engaging citizens in strategic programmes.
About the role
Providing strong leadership across the Public Participation Service, your focus will be on developing the team to design, champion and drive public participation with a particular emphasis on reaching the marginalised and ‘seldom heard’
A key member of the Insight, Partnerships and Strategy management team, your remit will include ensuring that representative, robust insight is the basis for delivering future-focused strategies and coordinated action. This role gives you the opportunity to make a significant contribution by embedding a greater understanding of what citizens think, feel and say into the Council’s decision making and service delivery. This is your opportunity to help us tackle inequalities throughout the city and improve outcomes for citizens.
To be successful in this role it’s likely that you bring:
- A degree-level qualification undertaking research and insight methods or policy analysis and development or equivalent experience
- Substantial experience of public engagement techniques, particularly with the ‘seldom heard’, to involve them in influencing positive change.
- Experience of thinking and acting strategically and leading complex programmes of work that deliver shared outcomes for an organisation and the public.
- Successes in people, performance and budget management, with a strong understanding of forward planning and the ability to horizon scan (5 – 8 years ahead)
- Skills to succeed in a political environment, with an understanding of the challenges facing Local Government and its partners in the future provision of services
What we offer in return
We’re committed to creating an environment that promotes diversity and inclusivity, healthy lifestyle choices, wellbeing, and balance. We’ll empower you to be the best you can be, with coaching, mentoring, and training programmes that meet your professional and personal development needs at every stage of your career with us.
We’re also proud to offer:
- Family friendly policies.
- A range of benefits, including membership of the West Midlands Pension Fund, discounted gym membership and a confidential employee assistance programme.
- 29 days’ annual leave increasing with length of service, plus the option to purchase additional days.
Birmingham is a city on the move. Be part of it.
Please see our microsite for further information and how to apply - www.cityonthemove-ips.co.uk
You must upload a CV and Supporting Statement via the miscellaneous attachment on to your application. This is required for shortlisting; you need to describe how your experience and skills fit the essential criteria for the role as specified in the Person Specification. If you do not attach your Supporting Statement, your application will not be considered.
All roles will close at midday on Monday 8th August, and we will be shortlisting on a rolling basis, because we know how important it is to keep you informed on the progress of your application. Don’t be surprised if you hear back from us prior to the closing date to let you know you’ve been shortlisted.
- Head of Service interviews will be conducted face-to-face in Birmingham wc. 29th August.
For informal enquires please contact Lysanne Eddy via email at Lysanne.Eddy@birmingham.gov.uk
Proof of Right to work in the UK will be required for all applicants in accordance with UK Home Office requirements, before any employment offer can be confirmed. Non-UK applicants (excluding Ireland) may need to apply for a visa from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and may require a Certificate of Sponsorship from Birmingham City Council for a skilled worker visa (if the job is eligible).Job Description and Person Specification