Climate Change Officer
The Climate Change & Sustainability Team manages a range of exciting projects and initiatives to contribute to the delivery of the City Council's Climate Change & Sustainability ambitions. Coventry City Council recognises the important leadership role it has to play in tackling the causing and consequences of climate change and the broader role sustainability has in tackling economic and social issues as well as environmental.
We work with local businesses, community organisations, partners, government and other key stakeholders to influence activities, plans, policies and services which stimulate and facilitate net zero and sustainability goals in the City. This includes facilitation and participation in an independent Climate Change Board, consisting of senior representatives from major businesses, public agencies, charities and voluntary organisations based in the City to address sustainability and climate change issues. We also work closely with other regional partners including the West Midlands Combined Authority on strategic approaches for the region.
We have a strong track record of projects and programmes. Our core services include; business support and grants to help SMEs lower emissions; an environmental consultancy service and housing retrofit programmes addressing fuel poverty. We are also working on renewable energy projects/ partnering opportunities and broader home retrofit opportunities for the city. Most recently we participated in the Regional Energy System Operator (RESO) project with a range of regional partners.Our Values
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
What is the job role?
You will contribute to the delivery of the City Council's Climate Change & Sustainability ambitions by supporting the management of the day-to-day performance and delivery of the Council’s existing domestic energy efficiency retrofit projects. You will also support the Council in managing future retrofit Programme’s from inception to completion. This is with the aim of enabling the Council to deliver a sustainable future for the residents of Coventry, improving quality of life, whilst reducing emissions and supporting the Council’s wider net zero ambitions.
The day-to-day aspects of the role will include:
- Supporting the management of the Council’s Government funded domestic retrofit programmes, including monitoring of existing schemes.
- Building relationships with partners (e.g., registered providers, combined authority) to support the Council’s retrofit agenda.
- Raising awareness of fuel poverty, retrofit and climate change. Including updating websites and working with other internal/external teams to raise awareness between staff and residents.
- Further development of the Council’s domestic retrofit agenda, including development of bids, monitoring of grant programme finances, processing invoices, and supporting marketing.
This post is an 18-month fixed term contract.Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an individual who wants to make a real impact on climate change and improve the quality of life for residents across the city. We are specifically seeking the following experience for the role:
- An enthusiasm for tackling fuel poverty issues and supporting the Council’s ambitions for net zero.
- Knowledge and understanding of the processes and criteria for accessing external funding programmes i.e. BEIS government grants.
- Understanding of project management techniques, including performance management and evaluation.
- Ability to work effectively with multi-sector partnerships.
- Experience of submitting grant claim information and compiling audit evidence of grant funded Programmes.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date(s): W/C 15th AugustIntroduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and it was the UK City of Culture 2021. We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons as you can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Opportunity for Salary Match and Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
- Lifestyle savings
- Salary Sacrifice Schemes; Car Scheme, Cycle to work and more
- Interest free travel loans
- Payroll giving scheme
- Workplace parking scheme
- Maternity, paternity and adoption Leave
- And much more