Teaching Assistant / Special Education Needs Assistant Practitioner (Abbey Hill School & College)
Teaching Assistant/SEN Assistant Practitioner
Actual Salary £17,462- £19,494
32.5 hours per week
Abbey Hill School & College is a popular, successful and over-subscribed school meeting the needs of children and young people with learning difficulties, communication & interaction difficulties and/or Autistic Spectrum Conditions. Our governors are seeking to employ an inspiring, suitably experienced and qualified Teaching Assistant. The successful applicant will be committed to ensuring the best outcomes for our students and must have excellent interpersonal, numeracy, literacy and IT skills.
Job Purpose: To work with teachers as part of a professional team to support teaching and learning for pupils with complex ASD on a 1:1 / small group basis.
The successful candidate will:
1. Provide learning activities for individuals and groups of pupils under the professional direction and supervision of a qualified teacher, differentiating and adapting learning programmes to suit the needs of allocated pupils with SEN
2. Plan and evaluate specialist learning activities with the teacher, writing reports and records as required
3. Take the lead in inducting pupils into specialist units, classes or other schools
4. Monitor pupils’ conduct and behaviour and intervene to resolve complex, difficult or very challenging issues
5. Work with pupils not working to normal timetable
6. Work as part of a committed and friendly team.
Minimum essential qualifications
- Meet the national occupational standards (NOS) in Supporting Teaching and Learning level 3 and working at NVQ level 3
- Experience of working with SEMH pupils
- Knowledge and compliance with policies and procedures relevant to child protection and health and safety
- An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English
Abbey Hill School & College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment"
This position is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure check under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Further details regarding this check are available from schools or by visiting www.crb.gov.uk
If you are interested in applying please contact the school office for an application pack and more details by phone 01782 882882 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
More information on the school can be found on our website