Active Travel Officer
This role is a fixed term contract until September 2025.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated professional to join our dynamic and friendly Pollution Control Team here at Sandwell Council in the Heart of the West Midlands, on a three-year fixed-term contract.
We are expanding our team to support the delivery of both our 2020-2025 Air Quality Action Plan as well as our key climate change strategy objective of achieving a carbon net zero borough by 2041. One of the key elements to meeting these commitments is to enable people to find active and sustainable travel choices that are viable alternatives to the car for their regular local journeys.
As our Active Travel Officer, you will:
- Join a proactive team and have an incredibly varied, challenging and rewarding role.
- Work across a range of areas and settings including schools, businesses, community organisations and new developments to make it easier for people to choose walking, cycling and public transport instead of a car for their local journeys.
- Raise the profile of active travel through the delivery of activities, events and initiatives tailored to local settings, examples include, but are not limited to, Modeshift STARS accreditation, event days, participation in local and national campaigns such as Clean Air Day, Car Free Days and Bike Month.
- Be innovative and forward-thinking both in your approach to your workload as well as developing relationships with a wide range of colleagues.
- Encourage and facilitate open and positive communication and collaborative working across the borough with residents, businesses and a wide range of other stakeholders.
- Take forward project work, be able to work well with others both in the team and your wider contacts and be self-motivated and with the ability to successfully motivate others.
- Be based at Sandwell Council House in Oldbury, with the ability to travel independently around the borough several days a week and have the flexibility of home working where appropriate.
- Demonstrate recent experience of working with schools, businesses, local community organisations or site developers to encourage and promote active or sustainable lifestyles.
- Be able to demonstrate experience of successful partnership working; understanding local travel options and commitment to the promotion of active and sustainable travel.
- Be a good team player but also be happy to work independently.
- Can communicate effectively with the public, professionals and politicians
- Hold a relevant degree or HND level or equivalent and be able to demonstrate evidence of continuous professional development.
Our offer to you:
We are committed to the development of everyone in our team and we want you to grow your skills and confidence with us. We will support you through regular 1-2-1s, team meetings and away days as well as via our appraisal reviews where we can identify relevant training and continuous professional development opportunities for you.
Planned interview date: w/c 5th September 2022
For an informal discussion, please contact Elizabeth Stephens on 07814 268128 or Email email@example.com
37 hours per week
Our Values; Trust, Unity and Progress make us unique, they define how we do things and are reflected in the way we behave. They are important to us, guiding and shaping our organisational culture. Our values are key to us achieving Sandwell’s Vision 2030 and also guide us when we recruit.
We reserve the right to close vacancies prior to their advertised date if we receive a large number of applications. Therefore, you are strongly advised to complete and return your application as soon as possible. When completing your application please refer to the supporting documents attached.
If you have a disability and require assistance in making an application, or have experienced a problem whilst applying for a position, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0121 569 3300 or via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about working for Sandwell Council, our recruitment process and our offer to you please visit https://www.sandwell.gov.uk/info/200233/jobs