Do you want to work for an award winning and highly commended Local Planning Authority? If so, this could be the opportunity you have been waiting for as a chance to work as a Senior Ecologist within the Planning Services Division.
This is a new and exciting opportunity to be working within a high performing planning service which consistently ranks within the top 10% nationally for planning application performance. At Dudley, Planning Policy, Development Management, and Planning Enforcement work together as a team to provide a holistic service with everyone playing their part and supporting one another.
In Dudley there are eight Sites of Special Scientific Interest of national importance for their geology and/or biodiversity. One of these, Fens Pools, is also a Special Area of Conservation, of European importance for great crested newts. The Borough also has two National Nature Reserved including Wrens Nest internationally renowned for its geology and also supports an important bat hibernation site.
These sites are supported throughout the Borough by a green network of habitats such as ancient woodland, meadow, river and canal that link them together. Where mines, quarries and clay pits once fuelled the Industrial Revolution, nature has often taken over allowing a variety of wildlife to flourish.
As Senior Ecology Officer, you will provide specialist advice on development proposals affecting this rich natural environment, including protected sites, habitats and species, working closely with colleagues in Planning Services, as well as the Council’s Greencare and Climate Change Teams, and a range of external partners.
More specifically, your main duties will be to:
- Make a positive contribution to Planning Services by providing professional ecology advice and support to the team
- Provide professional advice and recommendations with regards to the requirements of the Environment Act 2021 with specific regard to bio-diversity net gain
- Provide ecological advice to inform the development planning process, encourage nature recovery and a positive response to the nature emergency and tackling biodiversity loss
- Support the ecology, sustainability and climate change work for Dudley
You will have experience of:
- Providing ecological advice for planning applications or developments.
- Advising and working with planning applicants, developers, contractors or other clients.
- Implementation and monitoring of environmental and nature conservation projects.
- Dealing with Biodiversity Net Gain.
- Maintaining and developing partnerships with other related organisations.
- Minimum 2 years post qualification experience in the field of Ecology.
- A degree or equivalent in Ecology, biology, environmental sustainability, or a related discipline.
- Full Membership, or eligible to apply for, full membership of CIEEM.
Hours: 37 per week
Contract: Full Time Permanent
Location: Hybrid working – From home and when required at offices within the borough
Salary: £38,296 - £41,496 (pay award pending)
Benefits we offer:
- Planning Services operate an agile working environment and offers flexible working time with the ability to accrue flexi-time leave.
- Leave entitlement of 30 days, rising by a 4 further days after 5 years continuous service.
- Season tickets for car parking facilities are provided along with mileage allowance.
- The service offers a supportive environment with the ability to experience a wide variety of work streams and application types within an experienced and diverse team. Continued professional development is a strong part of the planning services ethos and is actively encouraged.
For further information please contact Kaliegh Lowe on 01384 814172 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Vicki Popplewell on 01384 816941 or via email email@example.com
NB: We reserve the right to close vacancies prior to the advertised date if a large number of applications are received.
So that we can demonstrate Dudley’s commitment to diversity and inclusion and to improve bias in the recruitment process that could create barriers for candidates. Your personal data will be anonymised when you apply, to ensure that you comply with our anonymisation process please ensure you have removed your name and date of birth from any attachments prior to uploading them to your application.
Online application forms will only be accepted for this vacancy, online facilities for jobs are available at public libraries within the Dudley Borough.
If you require support completing an online or paper application form and or interview techniques, please contact Dudley Adult and Community Learning on 01384 818 143 or firstname.lastname@example.org who can support with Digital Skills and Job Applications.
If you have a disability and require assistance in making an application please contact the HR Resourcing Team via HR.Resourcing@dudley.gov.uk
If you are experiencing a problem whilst applying for a position, please follow the link below to the WM Jobs Help Page in the first instance https://help.wmjobs.co.uk/
If the WM Jobs Help Page does not resolve your issue then please contact the HR Resourcing Team via HR.Resourcing@dudley.gov.uk
Dudley Council will check the information that you have provided against any details already held for accuracy and completeness. The Council will check, share and cross match your information both internally within the council and with external organisations to protect public funds and prevent or detect crime, only where the law allows us to do so. The Council’s full Privacy and Disclaimer Statement can be accessed on the website at http://www.dudley.gov.uk/