As a member of the homes multi-disciplinary team, you will play a key role in the provision of innovative short break services for children and young people with learning disabilities. As part of that your main responsibility will be ensuring that day to day care and therapeutic procedures are of the very highest standards. This job will include shift and weekend working.
The Ideal Candidate
- Operate as part of a team to provide day to day support and care to children and young persons resident in the centre in ensuring their individual social, emotional, cultural, religious, and recreational needs are met.
- Under the direction of more senior staff, to take responsibility for activity programmes and aspects of individual young person's care plans.
- To assist the management team in ensuring that the care provided in the establishment is within current legislation, departmental policies, procedures, practice guidelines and is also appropriate to the assessed needs of the resident children and young people, taking into account race, gender and disability.
What you’ll bring
- An understanding of the Quality Standards for Children’s Homes 2015 along with an appreciation of the associated frameworks and legislation relevant to the improvements of outcomes for looked after children.
- Experience of working in a residential setting is desirable.
- You’ll have a NVQ or QCF level 3 in Caring for Children and Young People or reflect a commitment to undertake the qualification on appointment.
- You should have a full clean UK driving licence and be willing to drive the young people in the local authority vehicles.
Please note on occasion in residential care there is a need to only accept applicants from a particular protected characteristic. As per the exceptions under the Equality Act 2010 there is an occupational requirement for this role to be fulfilled by someone aged 22 years or over. The reason being that we are legally required to ensure that anyone appointed is at least 4 years older than our oldest resident. Therefore, we will only be able to progress applications from candidates aged 22 years or over. Details of the exception referred to can be found here Equality Act 2010 (legislation.gov.uk)
For further information about this role please contact Susan Wheeler email@example.com
About Staffordshire County Council
We are no ordinary county council:
The core of who we are as an organisation. Just like we all have personal values that shape our thoughts and behaviour, organisational values drive how we think and act collectively.
Our values were created and shaped by colleague feedback and national best practice and they sit at the heart of People Strategy:
We have a real sense of community spirit that brings our people together. This feeling of belonging means we are all connected to what we do and take pride in the difference we make every day for Staffordshire people. We are ambitious and our sights are set firmly on a better future.
We look forward and race ahead - that goes for your career too.
We recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive working environment where employees can achieve their full potential and achieve a healthy work-life balance.
In addition to your salary, as a member of staff, you will have access to a range of benefits.
Our recruitment process:
As an Authority we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Staffordshire County Council is an equal opportunities organisation and Disability Confident employer. We encourage applications from all background and communities
As part of our commitment as a Disability Confident employer, a Silver Award Armed Forces employer and our commitment to supporting care leavers - we offer a guaranteed interview as long as your application meets the minimum criteria for the post.
As you’ll know safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our children and young people/vulnerable adults is important to us and that’s why this position is subject to a criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service. If applicable you should disclose details of unspent and unfiltered spent reprimands, formal warnings, cautions and convictions in your application form.