About The Role
Job Title: Senior Lawyer - Planning and Highways
Salary: HC12 £54,238 - £60,151 - dependant on experience
Closing date: 23/11/2023
We are looking for a fresh thinking and enthusiastic Planning and Highways Lawyer to join our dedicated and friendly Economy and Environment Team within Legal Services.
Working in a mutually supportive environment, this is a fantastic opportunity to make your mark and help us take Herefordshire to the next level.
The role requires expertise in planning and highways law and it is essential that you are able to demonstrate knowledge in these specialisms.
You will provide legal advice and assistance on a wide range of issues, varying in complexity including but not limited to:
- Advice on large scale redevelopment schemes, CPOs, listed buildings, land contamination
- Drafting of S106 and Highway Agreements
- Planning enforcement work and planning/highway prosecutions
- Dealing with Appeals and Public Inquiries
- Lawful Development Certificates, TPO advice
- Judicial Review ,High Court proceedings, governance and other areas of legal practice
You will be expected to:
- Provide advice to councillors, stakeholders and senior officers andto liaise with external bodies and legal advisers
- To attend decision making meetings including Planning Committee remotely or in person if required.
- Undertake advocacy on contentious planning and highway matters, draft documents and review Cabinet and Planning Committee Reports.
- Contribute to the improvement of the Legal Services Team
- Support junior members of the team including the Legal Apprentice in legal practice and procedure contributing towards their professional development.
The post holder must be either a Solicitor or Legal Executive who is a fellow of CiLEX or a qualified barrister. We do not stipulate a certain PQE and would welcome applications from applicants at any stage of their career and whether or not your expertise is in the public or private sectors.
Please refer to the Job Description/Role Profile for more details.
To apply, please submit your CV and complete the supporting statement within the application form, referring to the job description & person specification, detailing how you meet the specific requirements of the role.
This role is subject to a DBS check
About The Company
In return, we offer:
- Basic Salary of £54,238 - £60,151 - dependant on experience
- Relocation packages: support of up to £10,000
- Pension Scheme Enrolment in the Local Government (LGPS)
- Professional development- comprehensive training and development programme
- Generous annual leave: 26 days annual leave (pro rata) plus bank holidays.After five years’ continuous service, this increases to 31 days (pro rata) plus bank holidays.You can also purchase an additional 10 days per annum
- Flexible working
- Employee Assistance Programme: 24/7 access to support and counselling
- Payment of professional membership fees
- Pick your perks- our benefits include access to a range of retail, leisure, holiday and health benefits.This includes savings, cash back and discounts.
Herefordshire is a beautiful, historic county located in the heart of the Marches on the border with Wales. We are one of the most rural and sparsely populated counties in England with a wealth of unspoilt countryside, distinctive heritage, and lively and attractive market towns.
We have ambitions for Herefordshire to be an exemplar of 21st century rural living where market towns and rural communities are valued and recognised for the contributions they make to the success of the county. It’s a great place to live with a beautiful natural environment and we’re creating a thriving local economy which is sustainable, well connected and offers wellbeing across the whole of the country.
The Council has recently undergone a transformation allowing it to be a modern, vibrant workplace where creativity and collaboration is actively encouraged and staff feel engaged and empowered. Employees are provided with choice, tools and the environment to deliver remotely or flexibly. Central to our vision is recognising the importance of a flexible approach to working, offering you the opportunity to work for us on a fully remote basis. As such we welcome applications from individuals nationally.
We welcome applicants whatever their personal characteristics or social identity. All requests for flexible working arrangements and reasonable adjustments will be considered.
The following candidates will be interviewed if they meet the essential criteria for the post they are applying for:
- Those who indicate that they have a disability. This is part of our commitment to the “Disability Confident” scheme;
- Those who indicate in their supporting statement that they are an Armed Forces Veteran or Reservist. This is part of our pledge to support the Armed Forces Covenant; and
- Those who indicate in their supporting statement that they are a Herefordshire care leaver. This is part of our commitment to supporting young people leaving our care.
Benefits with Herefordshire Council
- Holidays: 26 days per year, increasing to 31 days after 5 years’ service
- Pension: LGS pension scheme
- Pick your perks – our benefits include access to a range of retail, leisure, holiday and health benefits. This includes savings, cash back and discounts.
- We also offer an employee assistance programme that means you will have access to confidential support and advice if you ever need it.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you would like to obtain details regarding feedback on your application please contact Hoople Resourcing at: firstname.lastname@example.org