Part time hours or job share can be considered
NJC PO9 £43,421 - £46,464 per annum ( 37 hours per week)
About us Telford & Wrekin Council is a well-regarded and multi-award winning council. We offer our staff a wide range of benefits including:
- Home working/Darby House hybrid
- Flexible working hours
- Employee discounts and salary sacrifice schemes
- Annual pay increments within the grade
- Local Government Pension Scheme (a defined benefit scheme with very substantial employer contributions)
- Potential support with further study costs
- Payment of professional fees
- Annual leave entitlement of 24 days with 0-5 years service, 29 days after 5 years, 32 days after 10 years, plus one additional concessionary day in addition to bank holidays (any previous local government employment counts towards service for annual leave purposes)
- Options to purchase up to 4 weeks additional leave.
- Free parking
This role involves taking a lead on a number of high profile, complex, capital and revenue business cases within the Local Authority. Ideally, with Local Government experience, you will often work as part of a multidisciplinary team, being responsible for providing comprehensive financial advice on Projects from inception to implementation, including those associated with the Governments Levelling Up Agenda.
Reporting to a Group Accountant, you will work closely with colleagues including senior managers within the Local Authority. You will need excellent communication skills, to liaise with finance colleagues, external partners including Homes England, other grant bodies, parish councils, auditors, contractors and suppliers.
Robust financial control plays an important part in enabling the Council to deliver a consistently high standard of services to local communities and you will be part of a small, friendly team providing financial support to the Housing and Prosperity directorates.
The Housing directorate provides services across Housing, including Strategic Housing, Homelessness and prevention. These areas receive numerous grants from government bodies, including those arising from successful funding bids to Homes England. The Prosperity directorate provides services across our Planning departments and Building Innovation teams. Both Directorates support the high profile Towns Fund and Levelling Up Projects.
You will be involved with the preparation of budgets, attendance at Project Boards, provision of financial monitoring during the year and the preparation of financial year end accounts along with completion of grant claims and bids. The role involves extensive use of the Council's financial management system and other packages such as Excel.
You will need full CCAB Accountancy qualification i.e. ACCA, CIPFA, CIMA, ICA with Associate Membership as a minimum and active compliance with CPD requirements of professional body.
We are looking for someone with:
• Good interpersonal skills to enable effective customer support
Good communication skills-oral and written
• Ability to analyse and interpret complex financial information for a complex budget area with minimal supervision.
• Ability to undertake complex costings and assessment of financial implications arising and solve problems
• Ability to see the broader picture and wider implications of a situation or instruction
• Prioritise effectively whilst dealing with competing demands and a challenging workload
• Ability to consistently achieve deadlines
• Understanding of the concept of value for money
• Good ICT skills for reporting including a good understanding of all systems available and effective use of these
• Able to supervise and deploy staff
A CV template is available if you do not already have a CV.
If you upload your CV please ensure it incudes a detailed personal statement in line with the Job description and person specification.
At Telford & Wrekin Council, we know that having a diverse workforce is key to providing the best possible services to our community. We celebrate having a diverse and inclusive culture where people are able to be themselves at work, and everyone has a voice.
Interviews will be held week commencing 11th December 2023.