In addition to the duties set out in the “School Teacher Pay and Conditions of Service” document and the Job Description for classroom teachers, this post carries with it the following responsibilities in the first instance:
Provide high quality, creative teaching in all classes, creating challenging and rigorous learning which leads to exceptional student engagement and progress.
Engage with opportunities for professional development in order to continuously develop as a classroom practitioner and subject specialist.
1. To assess, monitor and evaluate students’ progress in each class to promote pupil achievement and to ensure that underachievement is promptly addressed.
2. To plan lessons and schemes of work which promote challenge, rigour, and creativity.
3. To use a range of strategies to engage students of all abilities with the subject.
4. To provide regular feedback for students in a way which supports their progress against targets and has a tangible impact on student learning.
5. To assist the Head of Department/Faculty in the ongoing review of the standards of leadership,
teaching and learning in the subject area, consistent with the school’s self- evaluation procedures.
6. To promote the schools’ core values of Aspiration, Creativity and Character and ensure that you
actively implement the school’s behaviour policy to achieve consistently high standards of behaviour and engagement.
7. To support your Head of Department in ensuring that budget allocations to the department are spent in line with priorities and the principles of best value, and to ensure that all resources are kept in good order and safe.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Teaching, Learning and Assessment
● To oversee students’ work within PE and ensure that learning experiences offered to students are
challenging and tailored to their needs.
● To keep informed of curriculum developments relevant to the subject and contribute to detailed
schemes of work, in line with national requirements and school policy.
● To ensure that students’ work is regularly assessed, and progress monitored, and that accurate records of progress are kept.
● To celebrate pupils’ achievements e.g., regular display of work, assembly citations, rewards.
● To ensure that assessment data on pupil progress is submitted in line with agreed school deadlines.
● To ensure that the needs of SEND/EAL pupils are met in the classroom and liaise with the inclusion
team for advice and support where necessary.
● To be willing to participate in the implementation of cross-curricular links with other departments.
● To assist the Head of Faculty in supporting public and internal examinations.
● To liaise with the appropriate tutor and/or Head of School/Year, to ensure that the educational needs of all students are met.
● To work collaboratively in the delivery of PE in order to facilitate the effective development of the
subject throughout the school.
● To maintain a disciplined learning environment within the subject areas.
● To liaise with the tutors and/or Head of School/Year over students causing concern.
● To work with the Head of Faculty to ensure that newly qualified teachers, student teachers and new staff are given appropriate advice and support.
● To participate in opportunities, to aid your professional development. Such opportunities will reflect the school’s approach to performance management and include strategies for extending professional experiences, in consultation with the Head of Department/Faculty.
● To ensure that appropriate work is set for cover staff.
● To attend appropriate meetings where relevant and to provide feedback to team members.
● To attend teaching team meetings and contribute to discussions.
● To contribute to effective liaison with institutions outside the school, including primary schools and
post-16 institutions organised by the department/faculty.
● To liaise with parents, as and when appropriate.
● Undertake additional tasks as required from time to time to support the growth and operational
requirements of the department/faculty.
● Participate in the regular review of this job description.
Whilst every effort has been made to set down the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task to be undertaken may not be identified. This job description is current at the date shown, but, in consultation with you, may be changed by the Headteacher to reflect or anticipate changes in the job commensurate with the grade and job title.
The post holder will be expected to work flexibly and carry out all duties in compliance with the school and learning trust policies.