To perform all the professional duties of a teacher under the direction of the Lead Teacher for Engineering and Assistant Principal. Teacher of Design Technology (Product Design/ Engineering/Electronics or Graphics.
To be an outstanding classroom practitioner who consistently delivers the highest standards of teaching and embraces our vision of an integrated curriculum that ensures our students achieve the highest outcomes in Product Design and Engineering.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To ensure that the vision and values of WMG Academy Trust are evident in every aspect of the role; To lead by example and model the highest professional standards to staff, students, parents and partners in all aspects of the role; Working with other colleagues, play an active role in delivering WMG Academy Trust priorities, culture and vision; To contribute to the development plan for the department and the WMG Academy Trust; • To play an active role in the marketing and recruitment of students, parental reviews and other events at the relevant WMG Academy for Young Engineers; To meet regularly with your Line Manager and be accountable for your own Performance Management; To attend meetings as required; To ensure effective use of resources to the benefit of all staff and students; • To comply with health and safety rules and legislation, ensuring the safety of students and staff at all times; To be involved in the enrichment programme for the WMG Academy Trust; • To maintain discipline in accordance with the policies and procedures for the relevant WMG Academy and to encourage good practice with regard to punctuality, attendance, behaviour, standards of work and independent learning; To comply with all policies and procedures of the WMG Academy Trust.
• To work with the subject lead to develop and implement an innovative curriculum and relevant programmes of study;
• To engage with employers to develop learner employability skills, ensuring work related learning experiences are at the core of the WMG Academy Trust curriculum;
Teaching and Learning
- To ensure a high quality learning experience for students that engages and excites them; To promote the highest standards of teaching and learning, share best practice with other curriculum areas and develop the Academy model for outstanding learning; To be committed to continue improvement in teaching practice to ensure students achieve outstanding outcomes; To set high expectations of students’ behaviour through good classroom discipline, adherence to Academy policy, focused teaching and productive relationships; To demonstrate outstanding teaching across the full ability range from Years 10 to 13, delivering Product Design and contributing to the delivery of Engineering when appropriate; • To provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities and to identify and select different resources and methods to meet students' varying needs; • To establish a purposeful and safe learning environment conducive to learning; • To ensure learning is relevant for all students according to their educational needs; • To maintain and develop an excellent knowledge and understanding of the subject area and related pedagogy, including the contribution that Product Design can make to cross-curricular learning; To make effective use of an appropriate range of observation, assessment, monitoring and recording strategies; To develop schemes of work and lesson plans in conjunction with your Line Manager and with other departments as relevant; To ensure that learning objectives are shared with students and are achieved during sessions; • To design opportunities for students to develop their literacy, numeracy, ICT and thinking and learning skills appropriate within their phase and context; To set appropriate work for classes when absent; To ensure that sequence of learning, including lesson plans, are in place that will enable access to the highest grades by all students in all courses taught in Product Design; To keep up to date with developments in the curriculum area, teaching methods and resources and make relevant changes to schemes of work and lesson plans as appropriate; • To hold positive values and attitudes and adopt high standards of behaviour in your professional role.
Assessment, Recording and Reporting:
- To assess the achievement of learning objectives within sessions and reflect this in own teaching practice and the learning of students; To evaluate performance of student’s within your lessons, providing feedback for parents, students, staff, SLT;
- To assess student work regularly with timely feedback, setting targets for improvement; To ensure that learners meet and exceed the targets they are set and are aware of what they need to do to improve; To ensure that the Assessment, Reporting and Recording policy is adhered to for learners within your lessons; To assess in line with Awarding Body requirements and ensure that it is timely.
- To be an active Pastoral tutor working with an identified cohort of learners across all years. To follow the pastoral system policies and procedures as identified by the Assistant Principal; To deliver effective pastoral sessions this will include PSHE, Citizenship, CIAG and pastoral reviews; To conduct individual reviews with your identified cohort developing an Individual Education Plan for each of them; To act as the main point of contact with parents for the identified cohort of learners and perform reviews with them.
Teacher of Design Technology (Product Design/ Engineering/Electronics or Graphics- please specify on application form)
All our academic staff will be measured against the teachers’ standards.
Any other duties commensurate with the level of this post and as directed by the Associate Principal and CEO.