Situated in North Worcestershire, Bromsgrove District Council shares services with its neighbouring authority of Redditch. The Councils are committed to being a customer driven organisation, with our customers at the heart of everything we do; focused on improving on delivery services that make a difference to the community that we serve.
Grade 6 (SCP 19 -24) £29,777 - £33,024 pro rata per annum
Plus a casual car user payment
We are seeking to recruit a Temporary Accommodation Officer to be responsible for the day-to-day management of our temporary homeless properties in partnership with the Homelessness team to deliver positive outcomes for our customers.
You will be responsible for your own caseload, liaising with internal and external stakeholders to support customers, and ensure the homeless accommodation is safe and well-maintained places to live.
Be approachable and accessible to customers, communicating openly and ensuring they are kept updated as appropriate.
You will conduct property inspections, manage accommodation accounts and take ownership of dealing with any breaches related to the license conditions.
Provide support to ensure the customers have a successful move on to permanent housing.
Skills & experience
We are focused on providing high quality services, advice, support, and opportunities to help people thrive.
We need you to
- Have 3 years demonstrable experience of working in housing, homelessness, property management or homeless support service
- GCSEs or equivalent including English, Maths and or a second language at Grade A-C
- Understand key issues faced by homeless people, adult safeguarding, identifying support needs and assessing risk.
- Have a good understanding of the problems associated with homelessness and the services and benefits available.
- Be able to communicate and negotiate effectively with homeless and vulnerable people, as well as a wide range of support services and agencies.
- Be able to give accurate and up to date advice, information, and support on a broad range of topics including Housing and ASB legislation, welfare benefit legislation and advice.
- Have experience of dealing effectively and pro-actively with clients, in difficult situations where it is not always possible to meet customers’ needs/wishes.
- Experience and knowledge of housing management IT systems, including Microsoft office packages to gather, store and process information.
- Have current knowledge and understanding of Housing Law and its application within temporary accommodation , including experience of enforcement action.
- Have good understanding and up to date knowledge of homeless legislation and best practice and its implications for clients and housing organisations.
- Have good understanding of housing and property management, especially relating to license agreements and the legal remedies
- Excellent administration and organisational skills
We'd like you to
- Have or be willing to work towards CIH Professional qualification or other relevant qualification
- Membership of CIH
Role will be part time - 30 hours per week, Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm
We offer our staff a range of benefits including pension, generous leave entitlements, flexible working (where appropriate) and access to employee benefits platform (salary sacrifice schemes, high street discount etc)
Next steps – Need further information on the duties of this post please contact Joanne Mallaband (recruiting manager) on 07580749826 or email email@example.com
If you are interested in applying please select the 'Apply' button
Closing Date for completed applications is Monday 27 November 2023 (midnight).
Interview date is Thursday 14 December 2023.
If you experience difficulties applying online please contact the HR recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
The Council would welcome applications from members or former members of the Armed Forces.
Job Description & Person Specification for the role of Temporary Accommodation Officer