Caretaker & Cleaner
Band D SP3 for Caretaker and Band B SP2 for Cleaner
30 hours per week (15 hours Caretaker & 15 hours Cleaner)
Main duties and responsibilities for Caretaker:
- The efficient operation of the school site in accordance with the Authority's and Governors’ Policies, individual site policies and in particular those relating to the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
- Unlocking and locking of premises, initial inspection of site for vandalism or items requiring building maintenance; security of all windows, doors and gates; switching on/off lights as appropriate.
- Setting of intruder alarm and initiation of response procedure following alarm activation.
- Planning in conjunction with the Headteacher and Cleaners the allocation of working hours and holidays to ensure adequate cover for the school at all times.
Repairs and Maintenance
- Inspecting the site to identify building defects (service, repair, decoration), the initiation and progression of works orders and the maintenance of appropriate records.
- Ordering and replacing low level florescent tubes, light bulbs and other fittings as required.
- Removal of graffiti (excluding that requiring removal by specialists).
- Inspection, checking and cleaning of blockages in sink waste traps, toilet cleanliness, the cleaning of areas affected by body emissions which occurs during normal school hours.
- Carrying out water testing as required by Worcestershire Local Authority.
- Carrying out fire alarm testing.
- Emergency action to minimise the effects resulting from burst pipes, vandalism or fire damage prior to repair or remedial work being undertaken by specialist agencies.
Building & Contracts
- To discuss and identify with the Headteacher minor building and decorating work to be done.
- To liaise with contractors prior to work commencing, during the period of the contract and afterwards if necessary.
- To allocate duties to, and monitor the performance of, cleaning staff to ensure high standards of cleaning are maintained throughout the school.
- Daily cleaning of agreed areas of the school, plus other areas in the absence of cleaners. Also other areas where there is a health or safety risk or additional cleaning and/or deep cleaning is required due to viruses or outbreaks.
- Daily: empty internal bins, including recycling bins; wash all practical area floors; with a separate mop and bucket wash all toilet floors.
- Inspect and replenish soap, toilet paper and paper towels.
- Control of cleaning materials and paper towels, including ordering, distribution and monitoring of materials.
- Maintain a litter-free environment as far as is practicable, emptying external waste bins and remove internal rubbish as necessary. Ensure bins meet health and safety requirements re. distance from buildings and use to climb on. Support and promote recycling initiatives in school.
- Clear snow/fallen leaves to main routes of access/egress as far as is reasonably practicable.
- Order resources required and salt main pathways to ensure safe access/egress for pupils and staff.
- Care and operation of the heating plant and general cleanliness of the boiler house.
- The reporting of any defects to the appropriate body.
- Monitor the efficient use of fuel, electricity and water, carrying out meter readings as necessary.
- Receipt and removal of light goods and materials, including the delivery of milk and fruit to the practical area, using trolleys and following any manual handling procedures recommended.
- The effective operation of the school’s policy regarding use of premises, including oversight and monitoring of after-school activities.
Main duties and responsibilities for Cleaner:
- Cleaning surfaces, fixtures and fittings and walls up to a safe height (i.e. that can be reached without standing on steps, chairs etc.)
- Cleaning inside windows up to a safe height (i.e. that can be reached without standing on steps, chairs etc.)
- Sweeping and vacuuming floors;
- Polishing and dusting surfaces and furniture;
- Cleaning toilets and sink areas;
- Using and storing safely cleaning material as appropriate, in accordance with their instructions.
- To launder dusters, tea towels etc, if required.
- To report any damage to school property or other relevant matters to the Caretaker/Cleaner-in-Charge.
- To use powered cleaning equipment as directed and in accordance with training,
- To undertake relevant seasonal work as instructed by the Caretaker/Headteacher.
- Also, periodic deep cleaning of premises and furnishing during periods of school closure.
To undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as may be reasonably required and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this job.
The post holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to Local Authority and Governors’ policies, organisation and arrangements for Health and Safety at Work.
The post holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the Catholic ethos of the school.
- To maintain personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the post, participating in appropriate training activities.
- To support at all times the Catholic ethos of the school/Multi Academy Company by promoting the agreed vision and aims and setting an example of personal integrity and professionalism.
- To adhere to the schools policies.
- Other duties as may be determined from time to time within the general scope of the post. Duties and responsibilities outside of the post will only be required with the agreement of the post holder.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, this job description is not a comprehensive statement of procedures and task but sets out the main expectations of the school in relation to the post-holder’s professional responsibilities and duties, all individual tasks undertaken may not be identified.
This job description is current at the date shown, but, in consultation with you, may be changed by the Headteacher to reflect or anticipate changes in the job commensurate within the grade and job title.
The Our Lady of the Magnificat Multi Academy Company is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
The successful candidate will be subject to all pre-employment checks necessary to meet safer recruitment requirements, including a satisfactory enhanced DBS check