Are you passionate about technology? Are you also skilled in explaining complex concepts in an easy-to-understand manner? Then maybe this role is for you.
As a Technical Writer, you will generate and maintain technical documents, helping to influence technical design decisions within the WMCA. This role also provides you with an opportunity to produce new technical documents relating to new and existing corporate systems, to meet the needs of WMCA customers and stakeholders.
What will you be doing?
- Develop, own, deliver and support technical designs and documents for the WMCA.
- Create technical documents through an iterative process, aligning the user need with the system requirements and organisational objectives.
- Understand the business needs, document them, and produce technical documents based on the business requirements.
- Document systems characterised by managed levels of risk, manageable business and technical complexity and meaningful impact.
- Working with architects, communicate complex IT designs in business terms to internal and external decision makers, engaging with them to clearly explain the technical drivers and how designs address their current and future needs.
- Ensure all key processes are documented and owned and establish and embed a culture of continuous service improvement.
- Manage and maintain a technical documentation library.
- Demonstrable evidence of producing high quality technical documentation
- Proven research, gathering and analytical skills with technical information
- Previous experience with collaboration of varying levels – developers, business analysts, infrastructure engineers, and other technical specialists
- Ability to build strong working relationships with end-users, homing in on your presentation and communication skills to provide an excellent customer service
- Experience of working to TOGAF framework is desirable, but not essential
Were also looking for you to have a working knowledge of at least 2 of the following areas; Information and Data Management, Security, Application Management, ERP systems, CRM systems, Transport systems, Networking and Microsoft Solutions.
Creating an Inclusive Workplace.
West Midlands Combined Authority is dedicated to creating a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace that reflects the communities of the West Midlands region. We recognise that certain groups, such as women and people of colour, may be less likely to apply for roles if they feel they do not meet all the requirements. However, we encourage individuals who are passionate about the role and want to make a difference to still apply. We value potential and encourage applicants to highlight their skills, including transferable ones, even if they don't fit the traditional "perfect candidate" mould.
How to apply.
To apply for a position, we require applicants to upload an up-to-date CV and a supporting statement that demonstrates how they meet the essential criteria for the role. To ensure fairness and impartiality, our application process is designed to be anonymised. We ask that all applicants remove their name and avoid referencing protected characteristics, such as gender or age, when submitting their CV and supporting statement.
We advertise salary ranges for job roles, with new appointments typically starting at the lowest salary point. However, in exceptional cases where higher skill levels or experience are applicable, the salary point may be adjusted to secure the best candidate. This approach allows for potential year-on-year salary increases, offering progression and appropriate rewards to employees.
Our vision is to create a better connected, more prosperous, fairer, greener, and healthier region. We aim to achieve this vision by living our values, which include being a partnership organisation, valuing and respecting our people, fostering a can-do attitude, and encouraging innovation. WMCA holds diversity accreditations, such as "Leaders in Diversity," and has been recognized as one of the Inclusive Top 50 Employers and The Times Top 50 Employers for Women. We are also a Disability Confident Employer, committed to interviewing all applicants with disabilities who meet the essential role criteria. WMCA believes that building a team with varied backgrounds and experiences will benefit us as an employer and enhance our work.
WMCA operates a hybrid way of working, which involves a combination of office-based work and remote work. This approach allows for flexibility and adaptability to meet individual needs and preferences. We understand that not everyone can benefit from this way of working, and so we also promote flexible working options whenever possible to support work-life balance. We gladly consider part-time, flexible, and job share arrangements, so please don't let these factors deter you from applying. If your values align with ours and you are dedicated to working towards a future, we can all be proud of, we would love to hear from you.
If you require any reasonable adjustments or alternative methods for the online application process, please reach out to our Recruitment Team at email@example.com. We are here to assist and accommodate your needs.
Thank you for considering joining our team at WMCA. We look forward to receiving your application and the opportunity to work together towards our shared goals.