Cemetery Operative (Bereavement Services) - Ref: EE05223
G6 - £25,878 - £30,151 - pay award pending (Plus standby and call out payments)
Our Bereavement Service grounds team provides a high quality and sensitive service to a wide range of faiths and cultures across the Walsall District. to assist with the delivery of funerals and the grounds maintenance of seven cemeteries across the Borough.
The work will mainly involve the excavation and preparation of grave plots, using machinery and by hand, statutory attendance at funerals and other activities connected with the maintenance of cemeteries and closed church yards, including:
- Undertaking duties across all areas of cemetery management which also includes grave checking and mapping, exhumations, memorial checking and regulatory enforcement as well as updating records electronically.
- Carry out a range site maintenance duties including grass cutting, application of weedkillers and pesticides, hedge cutting using a range of machinery and hand tools.
- Support a range of horticultural duties, including shrub bed maintenance, ornamental and elective pruning and seasonal care of flowerbeds and planters.
The successful candidate must have: -
- A current Full UK Driving Licence
- Willingness to work in an outdoors based role, irrelevant of weather conditions with the ability to sustain periods of heavy physical effort.
- Understanding of the importance of health and safety on site and the following of safe working procedures.
- Ability to cover a burial rota covering evenings (seasonal), weekends and Bank Holidays throughout the year on a standby and call out basis.
- The ability to conduct themselves appropriately and deal with members of the public often in sensitive situations.
Previous experience of a ground’s maintenance role, operating a range of machinery or use of horticultural equipment would be an advantage as would an NVQ in Amenity Horticulture (or willingness to work towards).
You will be asked to provide a copy of your full driving licence at the interview stage.
Read more about our benefits at https://go.walsall.gov.uk/jobs-and-careers-/benefits-of-working-for-us
If you would like to know more about this role, please contact: Andrew Lingard
View Job Description and Employee Specification
Closing date for applications: Sunday 26th November 2023