Did you know that Staffordshire has over 4500km of Public Rights of Way?
This network of footpaths, bridleways and byways provides access to Staffordshire’s countryside and is vital in supporting the rural economy, tourism and people’s health as well as providing access to amenities and services.
An excellent opportunity has arisen to join the specialist team who provide advice and technical support associated with the county’s public path network and the wider green and historic environment.
In this senior role, you will be responsible for the management of the Definitive Map and Statement of Rights of Way for Staffordshire which records the public path network.
Digital data creation and management via specialist GIS and other software is at the heart of this role and you will use a variety of methods both digital and non-digital to provide analysis, reports, and mapping to assist our specialists visualise and understand a wide variety of information.
Other responsibilities of the role include:
- responding to complex queries and providing advice in relation to the Definitive Map and Statement as required.
- managing spatial and environmental data and providing to customers as appropriate in a timely manner.
- preparing and presenting information to inform decision-making processes.
- working with the other members of the team ensuring the statutory processes and digital data that underpin the Definitive Map and other statutory registers are kept up to date and take account of changes in legislation.
The Ideal Candidate
This is an exciting role for someone who likes a challenge with a varied workload. You will need to be flexible and be comfortable balancing your tasks in the face of sometimes varying demands. Solid cartographic and research skills along with having a keen eye for detail will help you to grow in this position.
You will also:
- have excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and organise a broad workload effectively.
- be able to work on your own initiative to meet the deadlines.
- need a sound understanding of the rights of way legislation, policy, and practice in England and be prepared to spend time researching historical documents to resolve queries.
- have a solid GIS skill and be keen to develop this area of your expertise.
This is a permanent role and is primarily office based in Stafford.
For more information or an informal chat about this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01785 277280.
Provisional interview dates 22/ 23 February or 26/ 27/ 28 February.
About Staffordshire County Council
We are no ordinary county council:
The core of who we are as an organisation. Just like we all have personal values that shape our thoughts and behaviour, organisational values drive how we think and act collectively.
Our values were created and shaped by colleague feedback and national best practice and they sit at the heart of People Strategy:
We have a real sense of community spirit that brings our people together. This feeling of belonging means we are all connected to what we do and take pride in the difference we make every day for Staffordshire people. We are ambitious and our sights are set firmly on a better future.
We look forward and race ahead - that goes for your career too.
We recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive working environment where employees can achieve their full potential and achieve a healthy work-life balance.
In addition to your salary, as a member of staff, you will have access to Our rewards and benefits - Careers at Staffordshire
Our recruitment process:
As an Authority we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Staffordshire County Council is an equal opportunities organisation and Disability Confident employer. We encourage applications from all background and communities
As part of our commitment as a Disability Confident employer, a Gold Award Armed Forces employer and our commitment to supporting care leavers - we offer a guaranteed interview as long as your application meets the minimum criteria for the post.